Finger swollen

PopEyeTim

Sorry to hear this happened Tim. Hope for the best! I have a really bad habit of just sticking my hands in my tank to move stuff. This thread might be my inspiration to change that habit and get some gloves.

Trust me when i say this.....wear gloves!

Crazy stuff - hope you heal up well. I will see this as a lesson learned as well. I'm in my tank a lot without gloves, mess with Zoas and palys, sps and lps while fragging. I always check fingers for cuts but this definitely makes me rethink my process...

Just seeing this! That's pretty crazy and wonder what stabbed you in the finger to begin with? Could be anything, I've had rocks slice me like a knife before.

I'm 50/50 on gloves. If I think about it I slap them on but being thinish nitrile I doubt they'd afford enough protection to prevent what you have going on here. Still better than bare skin for sure. I just have a hard time handling things with anything heavier. I have a set of 3m gloves I use when handling muriatic but they are thick enough its hard to handle a softy without almost crushing it.

I keep a pair of my shooting glasses handy when I frag most things...they fit tight and curve around my eyes so about as good as it gets aside from true goggles.

Hopefully it gets better quick, definitely doesn't look too fun

Any more information from the new hand surgeon?

Its either a staff infection or mycobacterium marinum. He has me on antibodic for staff and another for the fish bacteria. Also had to cut out the infected area with a scalpel and scissors. Luckily i was completely numb. Took 2 hydrocodone and he froze my hand before. No pain right now but very nauseous i assume from the hydrocodone. Have to go back tomorrow. Said there is a 90% chance ill be fine, 10% chance i may have to get admitted to ER. Thanks to jeremy brower doctor was able to diagnose the mycobacterium marinum infection. It must be pretty rare too bc he said it may be hard to find the antibodic needed, luckily walgreens across the street from us had it. Not sure whats going to happen from here but just trying to stay positive. My wife is absolutely freaked out...she doesnt even want me in the hobby anymore.

• Like 1

Are they doing a culture to ID the bacteria and then using that to do a antibiotic sensitivity study?

When we had our first child I was pretty worried about what "stuff" they could get from the tank. On my research for myco I thought it was a slow growing bacteria. Typically doesn't show for up to months and then presents as sores or lumps that may go away before coming back worse. I am sure there are exceptions but I wonder if this is a staph or even a vibrio that Ken mentioned earlier.

Whatever it is good luck. Thoughts are with you as you recover.

That is crazy. I stopped putting my hands in the tank unless I really had to years ago because of what the bristle worms do to me. Funny thing I had arm length gloves for years and never used them. I used them to move some rocks few weeks ago and I got a bunch of water in my right glove and either the mix of water and latex or something caused me to break out in super itchy red bumps all up my arm. My left arm didn't get any itchy bumps, I didn't get too much water in that glove. I wished I had rinsed out the gloves before I used them.

Glad it's improving finally. I'd be surprised if this turns out to be mycobacterium - those infections are usually much more insidious, and usually not as painful. Unfortunately it takes up to 6 weeks for cultures to grow so it's sometimes better just to empirically treat for it rather than wait for culture results! Staph, strep, vibrio, aeromonas, are much faster acting and very painful, but also improve faster with proper treatment. If it is mycobacterium marinum, expect to be on antibiotics for a long time (just like treating TB).

All this said, I'm as bad as everyone about my hands in my tank! And I have a bunch of gloves right there....

Glad to say my thumb is doing a lot better! Thumb and around it is still really sore but doesnt hurt 1/10th as bad as it did! Still is a little numb i assume from cutting on it/cleaning it out....but hey its getting better and better each day! df1b698400c788b8ca7f6eec73140b67.jpg

• Like 1