Frag rack?

I know a few people on here keep frag racks in their display tanks. I've been considering it but want to know other people's opinions of why they do it. Personally, I like the look of a more natural reef without racks and plugs everywhere but can see the advantage of having a rack if you're selling.

Can people post a few pics of their tanks with (or without) racks, and the reasons for (or against)?

Personally, I do not keep a frag rack in my main display; however, I do have the luxury of having a frag tank set up in the unfinished part of my basement. I initially thought that having a separate frag tank would reduce clutter in my main tank and keep a more natural look. My concern with starting a frag tank was that it would have a different environment with different parameters which would affect the frags. My frag tank is a 20 gallon converted fresh water tank so it is tall (currently converting that to a 25 gallon shallow tank), 150 Watt halide light, ATO, hang on the back refugium, heater, and a hang on skimmer. I also have two small power heads for current. The main tank is a 125 gallon mixed reef with a heavy load of fish (22 or so), led lights, 20 gallon refugium, skimmer, apex controller, ATO, Carbon/GFO reactor, doser for mg, ca, and alk, and I add Acropower, iodine, etc. So there is a difference from the main tank to the small frag tank as far as the parameters (water quality, light, ph, etc.). I thought I would have issues with taking any over-growth corals from my main tank and putting the frags into the small frag tank with a different light and environment. Interestingly, I have not had any issues and even use the frag tank to get corals that are struggling in the main tank healthy again. I will update pics of my main tank soon and add pics of the new frag tank once it is fully set up. The net result for me is that I enjoy having a frag tank separate from my main tank to house corals that I have had to trim back, get corals healthy again, and let frags grow out to sell without adding any clutter to my main tank.

• Like 1

PetesFolly, do you have issues with switching from halides to led (and vise versa)? Or do you dim lights in either tank as an adjustment period when adding new corals?

I've thought about setting up a frag tank but I really enjoy most of he corals you can frag, like the meatier lps.

I think it all comes down to real estate. If you don't have a frag tank or large sump then it can still provide the place to keep this hobby sustainable. In my previous setup I had fresh racks but just kept them on back wall tucked away because i did not want to see them, too unnatural like you said.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 7 using Tapatalk.

PetesFolly, do you have issues with switching from halides to led (and vise versa)? Or do you dim lights in either tank as an adjustment period when adding new corals?

I've thought about setting up a frag tank but I really enjoy most of he corals you can frag, like the meatier lps.

Surprisingly, I have not had any issues with moving a frag from the display tank to the frag tank or from the frag tank to the display tank considering the differences in lighting and water parameters. What's even more surprising is that I have not had to do an adjustment period either. It may be due to the fact that I keep both tanks very clean and do 15% water changes every week. The frag tank with the halides only has a 150w halide so it is not that strong for a 20 gallon tall frag tank. That may not be the case as I switch over to a 25 gallon shallow tank. Having said that, I have not been able to successfully house acans, scolly's, or any of the meatier lps's in my main tank due to issues I have had with my alkaline line plugging up from time to time which has caused my alk to drop to levels not acceptable for those types of corals. I have also had a heater stuck on "on" that bleached out my scolly. I have added an apex and am looking to switch over to a calcium reactor to assist with water stability. Trumpets, goni's, RBTA's, waving hand xenix's, mushrooms, duncans, birds nest, monti's, stag horn,... have all done well moving back and forth.

Just happened to see related post this AM. Alternative Reef has been nice enough to donate to us in the past. Rather than using a plastic piece that looks unnatural use one of their magnetic rock racks!

http://www.thealternativereef.com/ar/Products.html

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/synthetic-magnetic-frag-stations.262583/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=August_24_2016

I always use a 8"x3" egg crate glued to an old koralia magnet. super sturdy and after awhile its covered in coralline and is as purple as the rocks. im not a super coralline scraper anyway, I like leaving it on the back wall and even the sides some... and by "like" I mean im too lazy to clean it off weekly lol

IMG 0237

IMG 0228

Frag tank set up completed this weekend. Still have additional work to do in learning how not to glue my fingers to plugs or to each other. I have additional overgrowth in my DT that needs to be fragged and put into the frag tank.

I have one of those magnetic rock like frag racks and they look awesome and natural and kind of like a floating piece of rock. Mine has been in my tank many years so it looks just like everything else. I would never use one of those plastic racks again.

• Like 1