Newbie to club and introduction

Gorgi

My name is Gregg (gorgi on here). Debated on whether to introduce myself as i'm somewhat quiet and not always outgoing, but thought i would give it a shot! I have been keeeping fish since the late 60's when my grandfather and family won 21 goldfish at a carnival. It progressed to keeping freshwater tropicals when my dad brought home tropical fish from the airlines he worked for in Dayton, Ohio. A pet store refused the shipment. So his coworkers and he divided the shipment and we had all kinds of fish. As my interest peaked as a kid my dad took me to a local fish store as he new the owner from unloading her shipments at the airport. I use to get discounts as i know he would unload her shipments first. Thanks dad! I mowed many a lawn to buy new tanks! I kept cichlids, raised egg layers and live bearers and sold them locally. In the late 70's i had my first marine tank in the days of undergravel filters and coral skeletons. No test kits as this was the early stages of the saltwater hobby. I have seen so many changes in the hobby as it has evolved. I have had many reef tanks some better than others, but all have been successful. I'm not big on gagets or high tech equipment and old school in some ways, but as we know there are many ways to operate a reef tank with success. I just wanted to share where i have come from and apologize for such a long introduction, but this is how i got into reef keeping and i'm hooked. I joined the club friday and have considered it for some time, but thought it would be good to learn from others and share my experiences. I plan on attending my first frag swap sat. I look forward to meeting others with same interest. Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

Welcome to the club. Looking forward to meeting you. Please tell us more about your current set up, size tank(s), equipment , fish, ect. What kind of corals are you keeping? We all love hearing about other members set ups.

Thanks everyone. I will post pics soon. Tried earlier but need to resize as the files were to large. Hope to do this later today!

Welcome. I have only been a member for a few months and I struggled with pictures until recently. You're better off setting up a photobucket account and posting the pic links here. That way you don't have to worry about file size or picture limits. Hope this helps!

Gregg, I think you'll find many of us have stories of setting up fresh water tanks in our younger years and progressing to marine aquariums. My first marine set up, like you, was the under gravel filter arrangement. So glad the systems have progressed (in various forms) to what they are today! Welcome to the club and I look forward to seeing you at the meetings/ swap.

PS, I did enjoy you introductory note!

• Like 1

here are a few pics as promised.. not the best resolution and need to work on color etc. pics are a tad to blue. will get a full tank image soon.

post-11123-0-39111400-1458005062_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-08871500-1458005082_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-50430000-1458005115_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-32093500-1458005147_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-65007400-1458005156_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-96022700-1458005180_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-39850900-1458005188_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-51358300-1458005200_thumb.jpg

post-11123-0-66304900-1458005238_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

currently a 75 box tank. LEDs by aqua ufo (dislike them) colors aren't popping on fish and coral. I'm ready to pull my 10k 250w halides out of storage and use supplementing with T5 actinics. LEDs were recommended as being a good light for this tank, but I beg to differ (my manufacturer). I would prefer Kessil. tank has no built in overflow. orig used a prototype ATS unit, however it wasn't working as designed so I returned it. I now am using two hob skimmers. working but not my idea setup.