A quick hello!

PaulS.46122

Hello

I'm a new member here and wanted to say hello. I am currently setting up a IM NUVO Fusion 10 nano reef and thought it would be best to become a member here. A local connection would be nice as I've found it harder to find local people on the nano forums.

So hopefully once my tank is up and running I'll be able to share some photos and attend a meeting or two.

Until then I'll be checking things out here. FYI I do have an Instagram account that I'll be posting updates on. @tehsac_reef follow along or take a look sometime.

Paul

Hey Paul! Welcome to the club and the addiction. Like amanda said, no need for a tank to be running 1st. We always have tons of brains to pick at these meetings, and who knows...maybe you could win something useful for your build!

Keep us posted on the progress and hope to see ya around!

Welcome Paul. We are actually in the process of setting up the exact same tank for my oldest daughter. I'm guessing by the user name you're in Danville, not too far away myself over in Brownsburg.

I think you'll really enjoy the tank. We already have a fusion 20 as a frag system and it's been trouble free for the past 18months. Be on the lookout for a pump upgrade. I've yet to fire this one up but if it's anything like what was in the 20 the vibration can maddening.

I highly reccomended the in tank media baskets for it. The stock basket is horrid. I was going to order the sock for it but I fear such a small sock and the only point of filtration would require virtually daily maintenance. The spin stream nozzle is a nice upgrade as well to randomize the flow a bit

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Yes Reefer82 I am in Danville. Oh how I wish there was a LFS in our area. Maybe one of these days. As for my nano I've read good things about it. My sister purchased it for me with the light. The light isn't ideal but I'm going to run it for awhile. It also has the sock and plan to run that during my cycle. After that I have the upgraded basket and the spinstream nozzle. I also have 10 lbs of reef saver rock from BRS.

My intention is to keep this as simple as possible. No SPS at all. Maybe a hammer or two in a mostly zoa and ricordea dominated tank. No Skimmer, no reactor.

That should turn out nice, similar to what my daughters will have. She probably won't have any euphyllia for awhile though.

Skimmer would definitely be wasted on a tank of that size. A quick 10% water change would likely do as much and help keep alk everything else in check.

The light would probably suffice for what you want to do. I'm personally going to use either the reef breeders full spectrum PAR38 I have or a PAR30 50/50 I picked up awhile back. Just need to find a suitable lamp holder and see what looks best. I think the spread on the 38 will be too much unless it's quite a bit closer to the water.

I'm hoping the light will suffice for a while at least. I know lighting is important, but I also understand my coral selections don't require too much light to thrive.

My plan is to do 10% water changes, and if I throw in a third fish I will up that to 20% weekly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club. It's a good group and members are great. Fantastic place to learn no matter the experience level.

Welcome Paul! Enjoy your fusion, I'm very happy with mine except that now that I'm hooked on reefing it's two small, LOL.

Reefer82, FYI, I setup my fusion 20 last October and it came with the filter socks, not the media baskets, I have fish, inverts and softies in it so am feeding three times a day and I only need to change out my socks about every 4 or 5 days. The socks have one lip higher than the other and that side goes to the back and the lower lip slides under your overflow. As the socks get clogged the water level rises and eventually spills over the lip in the back. I just keep my eye on the water level and swap them out before the water spills over.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I have been a member for a year but just now realized that this site existed and there have been meetings... So I guess I should say hello!

Also, curious if anyone has had issues with zoas changing colors to essentially all brown and what to do about it?

Also worth noting that it happens to literally every single colony I have (Fire and Ice, Eagle eyes, and radioactive dragon eyes)

All are separate colonies and have been in the tank for different periods of time (F&I 2 plus years, Eagle eyes 2 plus years, radioactive dragon eyes 1 year)

Any help would be appreciated.