New Tank! Help with Design!

After talking to many people I have finally decided on an aquarium. In the next few weeks I will be placing an order for an Advanced Acrylic 400 gallon aquarium with duel external overflows. The size will be 84" x 36" x 30". The aquarium will be in a fish room with only the front exposed. I want to try to discuss a topic per week and work through certain aspects of the tank with your input. I would like to start by discussing aquarium choice and how to get the best flow (ok that's two). As of right now I plan on using 2x DC return pumps (for redundancy, unsure on brand, opinions here?) each going to dual returns (flex line or sea swirls, opinions?). I was additionally thinking a closed loop or two with DC pumps again with possible sea swirls or ocean motions and/or the new Neptune WAV pumps vs VorTech MP40-60 vs gyre. I am trying to get this worked out now so I can order tank with the correct number of holes drilled. So fire away, and thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the size of this tank you would be very well suited to come to the meeting at Dustin's.

Once you get over about 250g you really start getting into bigger equipment and need to be a bit more careful on the planning portion to ensure that what you've planned will work. The general design principles are the same just the equipment is different most of the time. You can't always add more pieces of hobby grade equipment to achieve results in a larger system.

A perfect example is skimmers.....you are better off to install a properly sized industrial grade skimmer than you would be to add 2 or 3 smaller "hobby grade" skimmers. It'll last longer, be easier to maintain and work better.

Sounds like a cool project. I have an AA 180g tank with external overflow, and sump they made. The tank is great.

two returns would be nice, i've never been big on a closed loop just because its more holes in your tank and you can generally get more flow from powerheads and less electricity as well.

Are you going with 1" acrylic? I went with 3/4" on a 6' er.

DC pump wise imo they are all pretty similar, just get the latest jebao's.

Right now I am looking at the large external SRO 7000-8000 for the system. Rated for very large volume but cannot find a lot of reviews in the skimmer. I am pleased with my in sump versions and they work great. Any thoughts. For pumps I am between the red dragons and the vectra currently for a return pump. Currently plan on mp's for the majority of water movement to avoid wires in the tank to keep the nice clean look.

Mine is 130X36X30, wish it was closer to dustin's 48 in wide. Glass is 1 inch thick with four 4 in cross braces, been running several years and have not seen any change in the width dimension from day one. An alternative to the DC pumps is to use single phase VFD's with three phase motors. I have 3 on mine running my CL, return, and aux equipment. Motors are a lot cheaper if you have to replace. VFDs are really cheap theses days and if you like I work for Baldor, could work out some special pricing. I have two returns with two corner overflows. The CL is a two inch feed with four sea swirls.

I would add that you'll lose a third of the depth when looking into the tank. If you can make it work being 48 inches deep do it! Also make sure you have front access and good room around it behind to have step ladder as you'll need it with the depth.

Dustin, I am a little confused about the losing 1/3 of the depth. Are you just referring to the depth lost to the back side of the rock that will not be easily viewable? I also priced out at 96 x 48 x 30 tank that is in the budget that would be 1" thick. That is the tank I want but the wife is really pushing for a smaller footprint on the tank. Do you think 30" is too tall or just right. I was thinking about 24" for ease of cleaning but feel the 30" would have many more aquascaping options. No matter what the fish room side will have a catwalk to access the tank and the front will have access sites with an easily accessible step ladder. As for pumps I have it down to red dragon or ecotech vectra. Still research before I make my final decision. As for closed loops I think I will likely have 1 for better flow from the front of the tank towards the rock work. Right now my working plan will make the tank viewable from two sides so I need to have overhead plumbing in the form of a loop to help get good. flow. I really wish I could go to the meeting at Dustins tomorrow to pick his brain about his setup and see everything. Unfortunately I am on call tonight and both of my kids have soccer games tomorrow.

I believe he is referring to the perceived depth (from front to back) of the tank caused by refraction of the water. Even though it is X deep when filed with water the light is bent so it looks like it is only 2/3 X deep.

Personally I like as wide as can be. I always leave at least an arm width between any rock and tank side for cleaning and the ability to get whatever falls back behind the rocks. Something always always always falls back behind the rocks.

-Steve

After seeing it first hand I understand now 😀. The dimensions shrink for sure. After talking to a few people today I also submitted my info for a quote for AGE. Figured I would get a quote for an all glass tank and one of the acrylic / staefire hybrids. After I get the price I will make my final decision. As of now I am set on the 96x48 size though.

• Like 1

Correct on what Steve said above. The refraction will cause depth to shrink by about one third. People are always surprised at how deep my tank is when they come to the fish room because it does not look that deep from front side.

+1 this lack of perceived "depth" is prob my biggest disappointment with going "in-wall" with the tank.. My brother in law has a 48x24x24 120g just like mine but his sits on a stand, and being able to look into the sides makes it feel much deeper than my 120g "in wall".

My wife mentioned making the front and one side of the tank visible so that will help with the visual depth issue. The biggest issue I can se with that setup is getting flow across the aquarium. I guess a mix of a closed loops and power heads with adjustable directional output will be my best friend. Anyone ever used the new Neotune WAV's. All the reviews I have seen on them are positive with great controllability.

I'm pretty sure I will be going with the 48" depth. Can't beat the extra space for fish/coral, even if you can't appreciate the depth from the front. :). I am also interested in the new Radions now for lighting. May do a mixture of t5, led. I was originally going with hydra52 hd but this may change that.

I'm pretty sure I will be going with the 48" depth. Can't beat the extra space for fish/coral, even if you can't appreciate the depth from the front. :). I am also interested in the new Radions now for lighting. May do a mixture of t5, led. I was originally going with hydra52 hd but this may change that.

• Like 1

New radions look nice but they really need to work on there pricing, just can't justify spending $800 on a fixture that only covers 24x24" area.

I'm really surprised they raised the price...They are going the wrong way and getting greedy imo. Originally when these launched LEDs were significantly more expensive but they've carried the high price to make some great margins.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised they raised the price...They are going the wrong way and getting greedy imo. Originally when these launched LEDs were significantly more expensive but they've carried the high price to make some great margins. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed, I like there products but they are just to salty imo, it will hurt them in the long run. They need to be in the 400-500 range and eventually will be forced into that range.