Lighting Part 2

jesterisdead

Ok, with my mixed tank of SPS and LFS, i'm learning which ones like to be high and which ones like to be low. I was told that my marineland light while pretty and all wont help my coral grow, and thrive, and take over my tank. So, if I need a light for a 55G mixed reef can I get some suggestions?

Agreed...also what kinds of coral do you plan on keeping long term? How much do you want your electricity to increase haha? How much do you want to spend on bulb replacement? LED's last up to 8 to 10 years without being replaced and put out less heat, and cost less to run, and can potentially bring out more color in coral, but are more expensive up front.

I'd like the LED just due to the life and power of really beaming waves directly. I'm truley not sure about the rest as I'm not verse and have been reading but it seems like most of it is like Nike, Rebok, Addidas, etc. Everyone has an opinion and belives theres is right so what I'm looking for is something from my hommies here about what they have and why. Budget again depends as if I spend $1000 on livestock and watch it die because I went cheap on a light (like I did a heater) then my budget is no limit.

I have a couple of these: http://apolloreefled.com/shop/solarblast-dimable/

Need a controller to dim the channels or can use one of these control modules: http://apolloreefled.com/shop/apollo-reef-led-dimming-controller/

Shane had three of these over his tank the other night FYI. PM me if interested.

Ok. Ext question. I was getting a lot of evaporation so I placed a lid on my tank. Should I have an open top to allow light to better penetrate? Light refraction I'm sure occurs with white light but not sure about LED light.

Ok. Ext question. I was getting a lot of evaporation so I placed a lid on my tank. Should I have an open top to allow light to better penetrate? Light refraction I'm sure occurs with white light but not sure about LED light.

A tight fitting lid to reduce evaporation will tend to reduce pH and overall gas exchange. I'm not a big fan of them. An open top will improve light and gas exchange/penetration. Evaporation isn't a bad thing if keeping SPS and evaporation drives Kalkwasser introduction. JMTC & GL!

Is it bad to refer INDMAS to INDMAS? This seems like a tough deal to beat at $150.

http://indmas.org/main/index.php?/topic/11047-leds/

I must not have seen that post, That doesn't like a bad deal, especially with a 3yr. warranty.

I still like Dustin's Apollos but, I am a little Partial as it is what I have on my tank.

I must not have seen that post, That doesn't like a bad deal, especially with a 3yr. warranty.

I still like Dustin's Apollos but, I am a little Partial as it is what I have on my tank.

TBH, I don't think the binning is great on those and they don't list the LED brand. I'd be hesitant on whether they are consistent BINs or not. That's just my opinion but I've researched LEDs a lot too so I make the right investments :D

Yeah, I have always been one that you get what you pay for but, some of the makers are just ridiculously outrageous on their prices. I would be leery about these lights but they are an option for a person on a budget as well as the reef breeder lights.

I went with the Apollo's for the cost as when I was setting up my tank the Atlantik's were not released and for cost to benefit, I thought they where the best option. I am still considering the Atlantik's but am concerned with the bracing on my tank interfering and needing three units witch will definitely push them beyond any budget that I will have. I am getting about a 1/4" or a little better of growth on my SPS, monthly. But think my colors are a little off on some I have seen under a 14k halide.

Well thanks to Dustin and Premium, and my taking a credit card out of retirement, I have a set of lights and an Apex Pro to install this weekend. None to soon as the power supply on my Marineland reef ready is acting up and needs replaced. Now I just need to figure out how to mount them. I'd like a tank mount kit but the cost is silly and I hope the wife doesn't mind me drilling in the ceiling.

I had mine built by a machine shop over by premium for $100 and sure for your tank it would be less (smaller). I took a scetch with measurement and they done the rest.Took them a few day so, i bought a 2 x 6 and built a temp one for about $8. If you are interested in their name and number, let me know. I know it doesn't look the best but, I like it!

Dustin, in reviewing your post on RC on the lights I'm curious as to overlap. If I set these lights up long way and with a 48" end to end tank, I'm sure I will have an overlap in the center of the tank. Does the controller allow for reduction of the lamps in the left and right side to lesson intensity of the wavelength due to overlap? Or does it matter?