Cause or effect?

Been Mired

Well I've battled those coral eating stars myself. Manual removal and a harlequin shrimp or bumble bee shrimp is the way to go.

I dunno what melting zoas means...unless the mat you are referring to? If so, zoas mat like that to reproduce. If you just mean your population is decreasing...then yes those stars are the culprit. They have wiped away hundreds and hundreds of zoas in my days...

Just a suggestion, but I'd look for bumblebee shrimp instead of harlequin. If you get a harlequin you'll either have to catch and rehome after your aterinas are gone, or start buying seastars to feed them. Bumblebee shrimp will eat your asterinas and also accept meaty foods. I've had 2 in my system for around a year and almost never see asterinas anymore. When I do see one or two they'll be gone in the next day or so. And my bumblebee shrimp are doing fine.

I put one in jenn's tank 2 months ago due to tons of zoanthid eating jerk wad stars.

After some manual removal and the bumble bee, I rarely see any left. I will sometimes see a half leg crawling on the glass which I immediately remove.

Good luck Ben, hope they do well for ya!

Probably the best decision I've made when it comes to natural pest control in my tank. I could easily count hundreds in my 75 at its worst. Now I might see 1 or 2 every now and then.

Now if I could just get something for flatworms...(not the acro eating kind)

• 2 weeks later...