Well, it happened again...

So, per my Vibrant thread (which I'll update soon, promise...), I lost all of my fish to velvet a little over a year ago which cause my algae spike to begin with.

Unfortunately, I just lost 3 fish to ich and it looks like there isn't an end in sight for this round of disease. I'm down to 1 clown and 1 yellow assessor which I am going to take from my display and start a full QT tank to treat them and any other fish that I put in my tanks. I will leave my display fallow for 90 days once I get the two remaining fish out.

I'm looking for help on the QT part. What/how much of it do you dose, and for how long? I know that I'm going to use a simple 20gal with heater, hang on filter, and pc light. Probably a couple of short pvc pipes for hiding.

Anything else I need to think about? Any suggestions are very welcome.

Dag gone it! Not fun man sorry to hear!

The QT sounds like you'll have all ya need. Do you have a way to add a sponge or something to the current DT, that you can then add to the QT filter? Basically have some existing good bacteria in the QT.

When you mentioned dosing and for how long? What product are we talking about?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure what product to go with as far as copper treatments, cupramine, etc. or for how long to dose in order to rid the diseases.

I used water from the display to setup the 20gal so I should be good with beneficial bacteria, but won't the treatment kill the bacteria anyway?

I've been using cupramine in my QT, it won't kill the bacteria. I even have a couple lbs of rock in there (won't ever go back in DT). Make sure to use a Seachem or Salifert Cu test kit since API won't register cupramine.

I'd leave copper levels at .3 to .5 for 3-4 weeks and it should kill all ich or velvet. I'd also run two weeks of Prazipro for good measure. Slowly raise the level of copper for 3-5 days. I did 15 drops on day 1 then 6-8 per day. I'm up to 52 drops in my 15G which has me at .3 or so PPM level due to the rock absorbing some of the copper. I'll leave it at this level for a couple weeks then move them to the QT.

Like Brandon said, leave a sponge in your DT for a week or two then add it to the QT. With only two fish you shouldn't have any ammonia issues.

Luke,

I've looked at hypo as well. I'm wondering if I'll have the time to stay on top of it though. I know that copper is harder on fish than hypo, but it's easier to administer. I'm just tired of this happening every year or so and need to get something going to get under control. I've even thought of paying someone to QT my fish from now on.

Luke,

I've looked at hypo as well. I'm wondering if I'll have the time to stay on top of it though. I know that copper is harder on fish than hypo, but it's easier to administer. I'm just tired of this happening every year or so and need to get something going to get under control. I've even thought of paying someone to QT my fish from now on.

It sucks to hear about your problems. I hate when fish die, I currently can't keep a copperband to save my life, I've given up. As far as having Ich or velvet goes, my fish are just immune to it. If I had to pick one I'd go with hypo though, if you have a refractometer it should be pretty easy and shouldn't mess with the biological bacteria and what not. If you go copper you'll have to worry about ammonia, nitrites...etc. And it's tough on certain fish. This hobby sucks at times!

There are report that hypo will not kill some ich. I would go with cupermine, follow package directions but cut dose in half and slowly add it to ramp it up to recommended amount. By doing this you are letting fish get use to the copper levels slowly. When you get to the recommended dose, then test cu levels everyday​ to make sure they are stable. I put a piece of tape on the corner of tank for where my water level should be so it makes it easier to add for evaporation. Or use TTM (tank transfer method)

When I acquired Purple tang on black Friday, and tang got ick developed couple days later. I don't have QT tank available and it's in reef system, I found about levamisole hydrochloride and I tried with 3 grams for 200 gal system. After 4 water changes (25 percent water changes in 3 days each) 2 weeks later. No visible ick and all fish and corals seem unaffected by this treatment.

It is actually de-wormer for cattle/pig and it's full board spectrum parasite treatment.

It will will ick's full cycle (free float, largest, and fully developed)

It's just a experimental!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It sucks to hear about your problems. I hate when fish die, I currently can't keep a copperband to save my life, I've given up. As far as having Ich or velvet goes, my fish are just immune to it. If I had to pick one I'd go with hypo though, if you have a refractometer it should be pretty easy and shouldn't mess with the biological bacteria and what not. If you go copper you'll have to worry about ammonia, nitrites...etc. And it's tough on certain fish. This hobby sucks at times!

Yeah, I keep hearing about people who have fish live for 15+ years. I just want to be that guy! Lol

But this is what I both love and hate about the hobby, it's challenges. If it was easy, I'd have lost interest by now and sold everything off.

e71ddc7713a6add83b6cae799473a48d.jpg Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Kodiak. I've never heard of this but I'll do some research on it and see what it's all about. At this point, I'm looking for anything that can help me to not have fish suffer and die.

• 1 month later...

So I am sure you all have heard this but QT is essential.

My Yellow Tang and Perc clown (first fish) are now 11 yrs old.

Tank mates include Hippo tang 8yrs, Bannerfish 6 yrs, 4x Blue Green Chromis 7yrs, and Diamond Goby 4yrs (2nd Goby).

Snails and hermit crabs seem to need to be replenished every 9mo or so. Even inverts go through QT.

No fish goes in the tank without 6 FULL weeks of QT... and thats if they show no symptoms during the 6weeks. Yes I have lost fish in QT..

I prefer Hypo to copper... I have lost several fish in QT and I am SURE copper is very hard on the fish, or the ecosystem they are living in....

I prefer to have a fully CYCLED QT and just drop the Sg. and follow Hypo procedure.

my 0.02