Tank Teardown

Atomic

I got a call last night from a guy who is buying a new house near me. The house came with a nice Saltwater Reef tank. Although the guy thinks its pretty, he has no interest in keeping it up. he wants me to come by and either give him a offer on the tank or help him to sell it.

Im thinking its atleast a 4ft tank maybe 6ft. I was told it has a "computer" and the original owner spent 25000 on the system. (we all know how fast u can spend 25g) I know it has an anemone and coral. The house if very nice and sold for over half a million in a rural area.

Im not sure how to go about offering the guy money. He has 0 experience with fish tanks. What are full setups running these days? Im not in the market for a tank myself so im probably going to be parting it out and just taking the stuff that I really want for myself.

Depending on what the guy has, is offering 500 maybe a little more seem out of line? I dont wana take advantage of the guy, but i gotta make it worth my while.

Picture i found on Realtor website

fish%20tank.jpg

Sounds like he has no interest in it and more or less got it free with the house and just wants it out of the house.

Tank looks clear like there's no water in it(hard to tell by picture) but if empty would be easier for him(or you) to sell over time as there would be no livestock to maintain.

You can tell him what you think it may be worth and then offer him the $500.He may take it just to get it out of his house

• Like 1

25k? On a 4 or even 6 foot tank seems extreme. It doesn't look terribly large in the pic though I'm sure it could be.

If the guy thinks it's worth 25 grand, he probably feels he paid a little something for it in the purchase of the home and I'd assume he'd think it's low at 500 unless he just really doesn't care about it at all. I'd just ask him what he wants, just be like what's it worth to you to have it out of your hair. That way you don't look like you're low balling the dude. If he forces you to make an offer I'd point out you essentially have no interest but for the sake of it... $500. Worst he could say is no and not have the feeling you were just trying to get one over on him since he had opportunity to give you a figure.

• Like 2

What type of relationship do you have with this person? If it's s friend or something it's different but if it's just someone who got your name then I would offer to safely remove it without damaging any of his house for free. Assuming it's not truly some crazy high dollar system. If it's your normal couple hundred gallon tank he didn't pay for it specifically as part of the house and if he has that money to buy that house I am surprised he wants to mess with selling it and dealing with the people and hassle.

If you agree to take it down for him as part of the agreement, free or not. Make sure that you do it as professionally as possible. Bring your own help and supplies for livestock, draining system, lifting and moving the system and disposing of water. Bring a helper or even two. Get the suction cups from Jeremy.

Offer the guy a handsfree service. Let him know that all he has to do is to open the door and you will handle the rest. If he sees the value in what you are offering then maybe he'll realize that offer has more value than money.

If he takes it, make it as quick and painless as possible. Capture livestock, drain tank and remove. You can sort everything out when you get back to your place. Be sure to leave the area the tank was in clean and don't drain the water into a flowerbed outside or you might kill his prized azaleas that are the only reason his wife bought that house.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Like 2

Update

It's around 5 ft by 2ft by 2 ft.

Acrylic curved corners. Scratched pretty good. Stand is in ok shape, not great. 2 kessels, I think the bigger ones. A cheap sump with bio balls and a vertex omega 150 skimmer. A ro system. A apex with at least one powerstrip.

Corals

2 rbta

Tons of colts corals

Small torch

Cheap zoos

Red mushrooms

Fish

Yellow tang

2 clownish

Coral beauty

2 starfish

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice find. The tank can be polished once it's emptied to fix scratches that aren't too deep. The bullnose ends will take extra time but still possible. That has the potential to be a nice setup if you can get it reasonably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oops that picture is deceiving!! those are just empty canisters that are sitting on top of the tank.

Here is a picture of the sump underneath the tank

20160115_155154.jpg

20160115_155159.jpg

20160115_155344.jpg

20160115_155348.jpg

I offered the guy 500 dollars for the whole thing. I know its kinda a low offer, but the tank needs ALOT of work to get the scratches out (if they come out)

The sump is an old wet/dry that's been adapted to hold a skimmer. It's likely junk after this tank. Skimmer is underrated for that tank most likely.

The APEX is a good find, the skimmer is salvageable for a smaller system, the return pump is useful(maybe even for this system) and even those Kessils are likely useful........although I wouldn't know what for.....growing "medicinal houseplants maybe?" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke.