Dumb House

ReefNewby82

So we have had a sucky couple of weeks with this house. 1st the garbage disposal went out and I changed it out. Next the AC went out...got an appointment for it be fixed tomorrow, the blower motor and module went out. Cost covered from our monthly service plan Jenn and I pay.

Now...the dumb exhaust fan in the bathroom went out! So my question is...when those go bad...is it done? Can I take it apart and maybe replace or repair something or is it best to just put a new one in? If it should be replaced fully...how hard is that to do? I pulled the cover and unplugged it but it doesn't appear to come out easily and couldn't see any obvious screws or clips?

Thanks in advance! Any recommendations of new ones is a help too. Researched them and there seemed to be way too many with way too many options for me to decipher lol.

Brandon and Jenn

Usually hardwired in. Still not tough but finding one that fits the exact cutout in the ceiling is the bigger challenge unless you want to start slicing.

Your bath is small...75-100cfm is plenty. Next question is how loud? Quiet/prettu=$. there's some cool ones out there for sure. My dad just upgraded their bathroom a few months ago.

If you can get the motor out and get some numbers off of it, you may be able to order a replacement from Amazon - they carry a bunch of the brand name ones and it's much cheaper than the whole thing. Additionally, if you have blown in insulation, this will allow you to fix your fan without disturbing the insulation. If you replace the whole thing, you most likely will have to do it from the attic.

• Like 1

Bluetooth? Pretty cool lol but not needed. Ones with lights are nice too but the room is pretty bright and with brakes on my truck getting replaced 3 weeks ago, new battery in jenn's car last week and now this I'm wanting to keep cost down. Hopefully under $75. Ours was halfway loud before so I'm not real worried about that as long as it helps dissipate heat well...jenn likes to peel paint with her hot showers lol.

Katrina...I don't know that I know if I have blown insulation and what that even means lol.

Great...replace from the attic? Unexplored dark attics are not something I would be interested in...furthermore not knowing how easy the replacement job is being up there long could make me anxious I bet! Lol

In that case a fan motor replacement would be best for you. It should have a quick connect for the electrical and 3 or 4 nuts holding it in the housing and you can replace it from the bathroom without going into attic. Plus the motor will be far cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

• Like 1

Okay awesome! Thanks guys and gals...I'm going to try and pull the fan motor and find one then. I spun the blade by finger and it isn't locked up nor anything. Not sure if that matters but I checked the garbage disposal that way lol. This is all new to us and trying to fix things myself when I can to save $ on house calls!

Can you post a picture of it? When mine went out i was able to take it apart from inside the house. It was probably 8 years old and basically had a backbox that was mounted to the ceiling joist and then a housing that the fan, motor, etc was mounted inside that. A couple thumb screws and that came out. Unplugged the pigtail and took the inner part to Lowes. Had to buy a whole new "fan" but just put the new interior box with the all the good stuff back in the old backbox and was done.

I sent a pic to Kent and hope he posts it here for me today

I didn't think about the breaker, reason being is the light still works in the bathroom and I just assumed they would be on the same breaker. Will check in a few...Thanks for the idea!

Breaker is good to go and wasn't tripped. It appears this stupid thing comes out from above only...meaning in the attic. I'll pass if that is the case, Jenn's dad can change that out when he comes back from California neXT week.

I watched you tube videos in preparation to replace it today...went upstairs and fiddled with it, and got drywall and dust all over me before realizing it came out from attic. I have the idea of how to do it...just not on my short list of projects I want to tackle just yet. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya. We have been having same bad luck lately. Within the last month the pool cover broke,the pole that holds the lock for pool cover broke in half, the lawn mower broke three time now(all different problems), and a damper on the furnace needs replaced. Giving up on the lawn mower since it is 17 yr old. Going to get a new one next spring. Hiring a service for rest of the season. Anyone want a really cheap riding lawn mower? It turns over but won't fire. My car in the shop again too for the 7th time for same problem. But car is under warranty. I hope it ends soon, my bank account can't take much more. Oh, yeah I almost forgot about the lamp post out front. One of them cracked at the bottom and fell over. Had to buy two news ones so they both match.