Needling swim bladder?

Have a butterfly whose swim bladder has bloated. His belly has been bloated for over a month.

Someone on another forum suggested needling his swim bladder, just wanted to see if there was anyone that has experience with this who could help me or even do it for me as I feel I would totally mess this up.

PM me if you have done it before and could do this for me, would be happy to pay you a fee even or pay you with some frags

Cheers799333ce39b408e48dc044c49a29e8cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try both Epsom salt & Kanamycin, in conjunction.

However if it's a month on, I strongly suspect it could be a swimmer bladder issue. You could use something like an 18 gauge needle (available at some pharmacies) to attempt "needling". However, as I'm sure you can guess this is a very invasive/risky procedure to do on a relatively small fish. More info in the links below.

http://www.reefdup.com/2014/01/05/swim-bladder-inflammation-in-fish/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/01/swim-bladder-lancing-video-shows-simple-procedure-correct-downswimming-fish/

Any doctors or vets on here that might be able to help me

He looks like he's having a harder time swimming. It looks like he has to really exert himself to swim if that makes sense. But it's been like this over a month now and he seems healthy otherwise and is still eating, he still gets about the tank even.

From my limited saltwater fishing background, puncturing the swim bladder is done often. My dad and I caught a nice 28" grouper this winter at about 100ft. It was brought up so fast that the bladder was over inflated. Grouper are not in season so to release it back we had to puncture it just below the dorcil fin. You could hear a hissing sound as it was punctured. Ironically my dad caught the fish 2 more time this winter and it had the scar to prove it.

Maybe look it up on a fishing website?

I'm starting to think that for now I should just let it be.

He's been like this for a month now and is still swimming and is still eating. I just hope that maybe with time he can recover on his own.

I feel that as invasive as this treatment might be, it has more chance of doing more harm than good.

If his health deteriorates then may have to reconsider, will keep you posted.

Thanks atomic, nice to know it has been done, just not got the confidence in myself to do it lol

I've done it on anthias with a 30 gauge needle. I went diving with a collector in Hawaii in 2006. He used a needle on tangs and angels, but if memory serves just gently squeezed the butterflies (a few longnose) until the bladder released a few bubbles. Here is a video from reef builders:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/01/swim-bladder-lancing-video-shows-simple-procedure-correct-downswimming-fish/

That's funny I almost posted that same link earlier, but not knowing how to do it or having the issue myself I wasn't sure. Anyway I hope the little guy comes out of this issue on his own!

There is a vet on the east side that does fish too. I have taken some fresh water fish to her before. The name of the place is : All Wild Things. It is an exotic animal vet. 317-255-9453. Of course they won't answer questions over the phone, they want to see the animal.

That's awesome! Thanks MrsBug. I'm building a fish trap and was gearing up and trying to get the courage to do this myself, so will give them a call and see if I can just take him in. I'd rather have a professional do it lol.

There is a vet on the east side that does fish too. I have taken some fresh water fish to her before. The name of the place is : All Wild Things. It is an exotic animal vet. 317-255-9453. Of course they won't answer questions over the phone, they want to see the animal.

Have you tried burping it? Sometimes small even pressure can be applied and it will release.

I'll see, on such a small fish I'd be worried I may hurt him or damage another organ in that area, will see if I can take him to the vet before I do anything myself.

Here he is swimming, definitely swim bladder I think, the way he swims down so hard. Pains me cos he was my first butterfly, he's got great character and a beautiful fish.

P.S. Don't judge my cyano :( it's driving me insane.

https://vimeo.com/133306188

I get the cyano from over feeding and not enough water movement down to my skimmer. I use chemiclean and a big pump and air stone and treat when I get it and then two big water changes. I also didn't clean my filters in my sump enough and let them get pretty nasty.

Still swimming. I am still thinking about

a) taking him to the vet that mrsbug mentioned (concerned the stress could kill him)

b ) venting the swim bladder myself (don't think I'm capable)

I've built a fish trap and waiting for an opportunity to catch him but still debating on the steps after that.

I really don't want to lose him, but from every bit of research I've done, when the swim bladder expands randomly like this and not right after capture, it doesn't end well, even if I vent people have told me it expands again in just a few months. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, I really don't see him surviving this but willing to try my best for him.

• Like 1

I finally caught him today. It took him a while to get comfortable with the fish trap. But it worked like a charm. The trap door functioned so smoothly he didn't even realize it had closed until after the fact.

Ive located a veterinarian in the area that actually deals with fish, I went and met with them earlier this week to make sure they could do this.

He's now in my hospital tank, but he's not looking so hot, looks like the added stress has made it harder for him to control his buoyancy.

For the past 5 days in the display tank he's been spending most of his time resting under rock ledges so I knew it was not looking good, I think resting up against the Rock has given him some small wounds and perhaps a secondary bacteria infection of some kind so I've treated the HT with some NitroFuracin Green to help that.

He's now resting under a piece of PVC pipe in the HT.

If he makes it through the night, he's going to the vet to get checked out and see if we can do anything about this.

Fingers crossed.

The vet only worked til 12 today and was fully booked, so planning to take him Monday. He seems to have calmed down a lot and stabilized since my last post, and made it through the night with no problems, will keep you posted. Thanks again for letting me know about the vet mrs bug, hope your butterfly comes around too

User on reef2reef Humblefish is the fish doctor. There are several who have done it on that forum. Some videos even. I know one is of a lineatus wrasse. Check them out. They have an indmas chapter on there too.

• 3 weeks later...