Matt's IM Fusion 40

After a 5 year hiatus I am finally setting up a new tank.

My goal with the tank is to be relatively low maintenance to enjoy and not seem like a second job.

I decided to go with an all in one Innovative Marine Fusion 40. My goal is to have a mixed reef with SPS, ricordea, and zoa's with a couple fish.

tank1.jpg

This is the equipment list I am planning on going with. If anyone knows of any issues with any I picked speak up, I have been out of the reef game awhile so I am not really up on what is hot and what is not.

I have already purchased the MP10 & RO/DI unit, and will be using base rock from my old tanks....I am not looking forward to cleaning old rock that has been sitting in a rubber maid bin for the last 5 years however. :lol:

Powerhead

VorTech MP10 W ES

Lights Radeon XR30w Pro

Skimmer Cad Lights PSL-50 Elite

Controller Apex Base

RO/DI Unit AWI Typhoon Stage

I plan on documenting the tanks evolution in this thread, I can't wait to get this thing up and running!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update!

I finally got a stand built and the tank running on 01.04.2015.

I am still waiting for my Tunze 9004 to come in but other than that all the necessary equipment is in place and running. I still need to get an auto top off, do some trim work on the stand, and organize the Apex wiring. My original list of equipment changed and with that I ended up going with a Kessil A360W-E and I am really liking it so far, I'm excited to see how it performs once livestock is in the tank.

Some pictures:

fts1.jpgscape.jpgstand2.jpg

standinside.jpg

kessil.jpg

apexproberack.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

10 month update

I have severily neglected the tank for the last 7 months or so. The good news is I have not lost any livestock, the bad news is I have neglected water changes and other matinence and now have a pretty bag algae problem. Thankfully my work is coming into its slow time and I can once again get things back in order with the tank.

Here are some current pics of the tank, I think the algae is bryopsis but I am not sure, maybe someone can help with an ID?

algae.jpgfts12.10.2015.jpg

I finally got a chance to do some tank maintenance today.

I broke down pretty much all the equipment and gave it a good cleaning, did a water change, and ripped out as much algea as I could. There is still a lot in there but I picked up a sea hare so see if it can help with some of the spots it was hard for me to reach. I dont think I can eradicate completely but hopefully keep it at bay.

I honestly would "borrow" a small tang or foxface, I don't think a sea hare eats calerpa.

I had read few posts on ReefCentral about people having good luck with sea hares and caulerpa so that why I gave it a shot. I know they can be pretty tough to keep alive however so fingers crossed I guess.

I am thinking about a small foxface and then giving it away free to a good home when its done its job, and possible emerald crabs too as I have read some people having success with them as well. I really want to get the water params correct before I introduce any new livestock however.

Sounds like a good plan!

I had read few posts on ReefCentral about people having good luck with sea hares and caulerpa so that why I gave it a shot. I know they can be pretty tough to keep alive however so fingers crossed I guess.

I am thinking about a small foxface and then giving it away free to a good home when its done its job, and possible emerald crabs too as I have read some people having success with them as well. I really want to get the water params correct before I introduce any new livestock however.