Uncle Bills - Greenwood

Went last night and they literally had 10 bags floating in everyone of their tanks loaded with fish, corals, cleaners, etc. I snagged some really beautiful pieces and settled them in last night. It pays to get in there before everyone does. Tuesdays are the shipment days and I'll get some pics up tonight. Two of them were picey but worth it I feel.

Its ok. I have an inside connection that hides all the good stuff for me. j/k!!

They joke each time I'm in there "See you next week". Jokes on them though I'll be back tonight. My daughter needs crickets for her gecko and I can't just go there for a back of crickets!!

Now I just need to convince them to carry more of the "drygoods" stuff. They carry the cheaper "over priced stuff" which is a shame as they usually have great deal on tanks but limited on other items. I got my 55G from there on sell for about $0.75 per gallon and the pre-mix salt water is $6 a bottle with trade in and an Uncle Bills Card. I typically get a $5 rebate check from them every week not including the $1-$5 off each item I buy there.

I think the Greenwood location has the best selection of the LFS's around town. I regularly make the 35 minute drive and find it worth it most of the time. Their sps corals seem a bit overpriced but their fish selection is really good and seems to be competitively priced. Don't let the quality of some of the other Uncle Bills scare you away. This location is much different.

• Like 1

I luck into some of the higher end in the cheaper tanks due to them wanting to move them out if theve been setting to long. Also sometimes you can luck out and find a polyp head floating around and get it on a base and grow it. Before my heater baked my corals I found and grew some nice ones. Now I just need to find out if you can get a frogspawn to roost on a new stem as I've seen some of them knocked off in thier tanks.

This is the best one of the uncle bills. I have been in all of them. They carry a better selection of coral than the others. I just recently picked up a full size colony of bam bam zoa with over 100 polyps and it also has a bunch of bluish green zoas on it to.i also picked up a blasto merletti red with green centers and a red trach brain with bright green center. I bought these at a great price.

Dustin... it is a pretty good store as far as livestock goes. Not the best selection but better than most on fish (including PA) corals are hit and miss and really overpriced on most I have seen. Just as a reference on drygoods salinity at PA 72.99 at UB 99.99

Jester... I was down there yesterday as well, and all I could think of is.... I would like to see their acclimation process because there is no way that they do it properly with that much LS and so little help. They almost have to be just temp acclimating and throwing them in and then want to blame the buyer if there is a death..... with only a 24 hour warranty and at only 50 percent. I could be wrong but it does not seem possible for them to have the time to slow acclimate..

Another note they get shipments on Tuesdays and Thursday. Need to get John to start posting what they have and when they arrive....

I agree with Shane, they are the best selection as far as fish . I have done buys where they will order a fish for me and I take it in the bag before it goes in the tanks . Just talk to Brandon he has no probs with it . I have also sold frags there as well . They are as far as UBs go the best one and most all the fish room guys have tanks themselves so they are knowledgable about the products . I have not had any issues with livestock and at least they have some sort of help if it perishes within 24hrs . Pa guarantees its a fish and that's it . Lol I have actually had a lot better luck at bills than pa for fish . Pa still has em beat by far on pricing and corals . Example fire shrimp at pa $25 ub $39 . But I still go about once a week and see I there is something I can't live without .

Yes they just temp aklimate and dump. I got my stuff while still in bags so if I miss the shipments I wait a few days to avoid the floaters. I will post some pics tonight of my catchs there last night and tonight. Also yes they have a 100% markup on most of there stuff. They have a "head" tank at the far left side for the lose polyps that some times they give you and can grow pretty good still.

For fish, some argue that it's better to just temp acclimate and then dump the fish in as long as the salinity in the tank is equal to the bag or less. (Fish can take a drop in salinity without stress but quick rise in salinity is bad) I believe hobbyist need to take better care to acclimate so you bring up the SG slower as a lot of fish tanks at LFS run at a lower salinity. Lower salt means lower running costs!

Sorry about not posting pictures. i need to see what the photobucket links aren't working. I picked up three more tonight as I had some $5 off certificates I needed to use. AS you buy things you earn points and these points get your the rebate checks. So besides the 10% discount for all corals these rebate checks are nice. i also spent the night scapping again trying to make the tank and the corals more natural. I started spot feeding some of them tonight and it was cool seeing all the little "hairs" on these new guys and giving them a hit of mysis and brine.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in yesterday checking out the frag and fish stock since I was out of state for a week and spoke with Bill (not Uncle). They got a really nice shipment of premium frags in the last two weeks and they went quick. Some of the larger ones are still there because they have to high a mark up (65-100%) and Bill states he has already addressed that with the GM. Over the next few weeks they are getting some more in and since I'm there at least twice a week I will keep the group updated (after I buy the best ones).

Bill states that the higher end ones not selling so quickly is actually cool as it enables the tanks appearance to improve greatly as they mature. I told him that there were concerns about aclimation and such and he states they are trying to address that as well. While I was at it I told him it would be nice to learn about their water quality policy as well and he admitted they have had a lot of turn over lately and they need to do some much needed cleaning but they have been swamped as of late as there seems to be a rush of saltwater tank newbies. They also have tanks lying everywhere but they are the standard sqaure and retangle ones so no bow or corner. I'm still eyeing the 125 and stand but I want my next to be a 180 as it will be my last. ( I say with fingers crossed)

I'll be there in a few hours and will check. I need to get some live rock, sand, and water for a new tank I'm setting up.

awesome, thanks! I really liked Premium, and their selection, but the hours make it a bit tough (I'm about an hour away). And Greenwood Park Mall is a much easier place to get the wife to go than a warehouse with fish stuff. Especially after my 3 year old handed her the receipt for Premium a couple weeks ago :)

Edited to add. I'm wanting to keep the cost under $40. Tank is pretty new (has been cycling about 6 weeks now). I added some small fish and clean up crew, along with a leather coral a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the leather coral died. I think I had a bit of a spike when I added the fish, but the levels have all been perfect the last week and a half.

When I acclimate fish or corals I use a bucket adding tank water to it slowly. Then I net the fishout or coral and put it into the tank. No way would I ever put bag/fish store water into my tank. Who knows what they treat there systems for?

I know the Uncle Bills on 37 runs a small amount of copper on their back wall. I do the bucket acclimation also. Been known to "rinse" the fish in another bucket before adding, just to be safe.

Leathers are not as easy as they say. They need good light and a constant water flow over them as they shed a wax coat that can be harmful to your tank and your fish if circulation and filtration is not good. I gave mine to the local fish store right before I thought it was going to die as it looked so bad.

Large selection of fish arrived this week. Also have a very large selection of new corals just recieved. If you have a member card all corals are 10% off and Live Rock is $1 off per pound. All fish tanks are currently $1 per gallon (except for their large ones which suck!) I was just in there last night. Purchased a Tiger Goby.

TG

Just fyi, went there yesterday to get a new fish or two, and apparently they had some electrical problems Saturday night. I'd say half of their saltwater fish tanks were empty, and taped off. Talked to one of the employees a bit, and he said they caught it soon enough and didn't lose much, but place is a mess right now.

Didn't get any fish, but picked up some polyps and a nice favia (that I later found out has a couple aiptasia).