FLOW

Hey guys I am having some problems with flow and dead spots being present in my tank.

It is a 75 gallon primarily all LPS tank.

I currently have only one Koralia evolution blowing right to left, but I have a few more just sitting around in boxes. I also have to return lines flowing back to front on both sides of the tank.

My problem is there are some dead spots that have been created from inadequate flow and some cyano is present in those spots.

Also I tried putting in another powerhead and it ends up with way too much flow collapsing trumpets, acans, and closing up one of my frogspawns.

I have never had/ used a wavemaker... Could this be a viable solution?

post-11131-0-14816600-1490702888.jpg

Yes they are all the evolution series and I know they would be compatible with their circulation timer... But I wasn't sure if that would help or not

The one I am currently running is 850 GPH I believe (the hydor stickers have fallen off a few and I forget which is which) and my return is 1056 GPH

in a 75g tank, with mainly LPS...you should be able to get away with around 2500 gph of flow in total. having a wave maker would definitely help. they help to mimic natural coral surroundings with the tides and water direction changing, helps keep detritus from settling in the tank, allows more nutrients from different areas of the tank reach the corals, and also assists in corals not growing toward the way they are getting blown around in the water...more for SPS but still.

• Like 1

I have a 75 and I use the Jebao rw-8. They are awesome! They have several flow patterns and speeds. Try not point your directly at the coral. I place mine on back of the side glass pointed towards the front center glass of the tank. This might help you out a bit to not blast the corals

I like the RW-8's as well. I have 2 in my 100 and they work like a champ. My frag tanks has a pair of the Koralia Nano 425's on the Hydor Smart Wave controller and they do great as well.

Before I spent the cash on a Smart Wave for your 75 I'd consider selling your Koralia's ands going with the RW-8's. You'd probably not come too much difference out of pocket. They just have so much more power and flexibility

• Like 1

That's what I was initially thinking with getting a wave maker.... randomized flow with changing the setting its on

I really need to achieve two things with my flow:

Decrease dead spots

Not wreck my LPS tissue with blasts of flow

hmm.... I appreciate the input guys!

I'm with Bud on this one. I spent a lot of years running powerheads that just plug in and turn on. Once I got a set of wavemakers with a controller, I never looked back. Great for sps because of the intermittent, random high flow, but great for lps and softies because they don't just blast 100% of the time.

• Like 1

Yeah I tried the whole... top right, bottom left flow and indirect so its hitting the length sides of the glass first and then ultimately bouncing off the end piece of glass etc.

Even with this, the flow seems to push hard against corals like acan's and trumpets to where their skeleton is shown through the tissue... I hope this makes sense? haha

Will they basically act like this until they get used to it?

I have tried multiple powerhead options and can't seem to get the perfect amount... Then again I could always move some corals around slightly too, but trying other things besides this first.