Das's "The Boss" 22G SPS + 30G Softie Lagoon Build:

Hello All,

This will be my first post here - moved to Indy from NJ last month and finally have some time to start a journal of my tank build. Any input is encouraged and local information (good places for live rock, SPS, etc.) also welcome. I'll pay my dues and become a member when I get home from work - for now you'll have to settle for the specs. I'll update the next chance I get.

Synopsis: The system will be 2 tanks connected to a common 10 gallon sump. The first tank is a 22G Mr.Aqua Rimless (36x12x12) and the second is a JBJ 30G (24x18x19). The 22G will be a dedicated SPS tank with a bare bottom and the 30G will serve as the softie tank with some macro-algae, perhaps an anemone later on. The 10 gallon sump will also be a refugium since the skimmer is a HOB. The system is controlled by the Neptune Apex controller.

Equipment:

22G:
- MAME Overflow
- Mr.Aqua 22G Rimless Aquarium (36x12x12)
- 2x OceanRevive S026 LED Lights
- MaxiJet 900 Return
- Vortech MP40 on Reef Crest Mode
- AquaMaxx HOB-1 Skimmer w/ Bubble Reducer (skimmer for both systems)
- 3x 50W ViaAqua Heaters
- BeamWorks 20" Refugium Light

30G:
- JBJ 30G AIO Aquarium (24x18x19)
- The back chambers will be a refugium entirely.
- OceanRevive S026 LED Light
- Stock Pumps for flow (~500gph)
- 3" Sand Bed
- MAME Overflow

- MaxiJet 1200 Return

Pics:
2015-06-03%2008.57.22_1.jpg

2015-06-03%2008.58.04.jpg

2015-06-08%2019.13.22.jpg

Anyone know the best place for live rock? I'm likely going to go with Premium Aquatics as I've already got 25lbs. of very good base rock from MarcoRocks yesterday.

• Like 1

Sounds like a cool little set up! I like the idea of two different tanks for species specific corals. There are some people on our forum for live rock and SPS for sure. PA is a good place for the live rock as well. Will be awaiting pics to show how this system is set up. Welcome to the club and hope to see you post more info and maybe show up to a meeting! This weekend is our Summer Social and is a good way to meet some cool club members. I can get your membership processed as soon as you pay and proof comes through my email so you can access our livestock and dry goods forum! Will be following along your build...

Well this weekend is the Summer Social, our club "old school" type swap is in September. But I'm sure if you get signed up tonight you can maybe find someone going to this meeting Saturday that can bring ya live rock or corals if you are ready for them. This Saturdays meeting is a pitch in for food, a pool for the kiddos, and Amanda has a cool fish only tank with butterflies and tangs...and an LPS dominate Solana tank. A fun meeting to meet people and introduce yourself. Hope to see you there!

Welcome to the club, the tanks sound pretty cool. I like the fact that your going to use the mj900 as a return pump. Most people don't realize the old school mj's can actually be used for a return. I have a couple mj's that are 10+yrs old and still run like new.

Also around here the two stores to go to are Premium Aquatics and Modern Aquatics. Both very nice. Saltcritters has some pretty good coral deals too, and you can beat there plug pricing. Its apt only.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Nice looking set up.

I like the idea of a species tank. I have often thought of doing this, but my husband is against more tanks. :( A few years ago I had a BTA dominate tank and a sun coral tank (with no light). Then I moved and wanted to set up LPS dominate tank. I do miss my nems.

Yes, you should come to the social tomorrow. If you do I will give you a free blue candy cane (if you want it) It is always a fun time and usually goes well into the night. And if you are a paid member you can get in on our great raffle prizes. Hope to see you there!

As said above, Premium Aquatic and Modern Aquatix are both great places to buy.

• Like 1

Hello All - I tried signing up to become a member but not sure how. The other thread says to Paypal money to a specific account - is that it?

Also, my tank is far from ready for corals. I'm getting live rock tomorrow and so will try to make it to the social but likely not. I'll try to come to the next frag swap though.