Need to reduce Nitrates and Increase PH

Have you tried doing any type of vac on the sand? I used that same black sand and it didn't work out well for me (long story but lost a stunning Picasso pair). It's so coarse that it's a huge detritus collector. Looks beautiful but danger lies hidden amongst it! The way that bigger rock is covered also make me think there is something up with it. Are the two larger pieces from different sources?

• Like 1

Yes you can theoretically. That stuff will be hard though as the big chunks kept getting stuck and plugging my siphon. A larger diameter hose would drain your water fast. If there is a bunch of crap in it, you would stir it all up scooping it out. Best bet is probably a large diameter hose and do small sections at a time. If you want to remove it all that is. You may be able to vac it like gravel.

For a 20 gallon tank, I would move all the rock & livestock into a tub with the tank water, scoop out the sand, clean the tank and put everything back in.

Or, you can use a wet/dry shop vac. I removed a dsb from a 90 gallon that way.

• 4 weeks later...
Here is an updated photo. I feel like it's taking forever, does anyone have a bottle of Kent Patience?

4855E97B-3936-4BE6-B717-5788CA9DF486_zps

The speed up the process what I did is hand removed all the GHA I could. Then I bought a very tough brush to scrub it underwater. After I did siphon or net any algae I saw.

Another option would be remove one rock at a time when you do water changes and use the old water to dip the rock in, then scrub it. My GHA didn't go away until I pulled it off. Now I have had no issues for 3-4 months

If I do swap the substrate, will I have to worry about a dangerous cycle again, or will the established rock help with this?

It depends on how much you add I think. I did all live rock and 50% live sand and never had an algae bloom when upgrading from a 50 cube to a 75

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So about 6 months ago, I started my battle with Hair Algae. I beat it, and wanted to share my story. The first sign of the algae was pretty minimal, I figured that my cleanup crew would take care of it.

1CF83387-8915-4204-9FBF-D077C3F5A27A-352

Truth be told, I was moving soon, and had cut down on maintenance. So about a month after the move, the tank looked like this.

4EDAA250-4206-414C-82C6-FB57E94E8479_zps

I was a little frustrated, so I tried the method everyone had talked about, raising my MAG with tech M. After about another month, it looked like this.

48091580-95D6-45F7-89BD-FFD03FBE42FC_zps

I was incredibly frustrated. Everyone talked about how it just melts off, and mine was growing!. I kept up the MAG level thinking maybe, it just takes time… nope.

C9621BEE-9B7F-4D6F-921C-15CAD00DBC11_zps

After reaching out to RC, and my local forum INDMAS, I decided to do a shotgun approach of all the advice.

Here is the list of things I did to fix the tank, it took about 2 months to win.

1. I purchased a new cleanup crew including hermits, and a emerald crab.

2. I used Phophate Rx.

3. I manually removed as much as I could.

4. I got a much better media reactor, and started running 50% more Phosguard.

5. I did weekly water changes.

6. I used prodibio bioclean

7. I changed my sandbed. (The old sand trapped to much food.)

This gave me multiple tools to remove the algea.

1. Physical: Hand removing, cleanup crew, lack of stagnant food.

2. Chemical: Phosphate Rx, Phosguard.

3. Biological: Prodibio, Water changes.

Here it is today, and I am glad I did not quit reefing because of this, because the tank is beautiful.

3592D279-78A6-4F96-B7F1-21485D62C141_zps