Scuba Certified!

Avery

try out Haigh Quarry in Illinois. Lots of stuff below to practice on. Honestly, go during the week to avoid the hundreds of divers hitting the water on the weekends.

http://www.haighquarry.com/

Try out different quarries and look for paddlefish... they are a spectacle to see.

Congrats!!!!

A lot of people tend to forget that the Great Lakes has great diving! The couple of wars that were engaged using the lakes combined with the cold water leaves for some spectacular shipwreck diving. It's cold, and most people need a dry suit, but it's totally worth it. Heck, the stupid quarries around here are pretty frigid usually, too. I know I had to dry suit it for my September night dive for my Safety & Rescue cert, and really could've used one for the daytime dives.

Good luck and keep up with it! The more experience you get, the more types of dives you are certified to do!

• 3 weeks later...

What's the viz like in the lakes? Most fresh water dives I've ever done have been terrible viz. Quarries are some of the worst!

I always enjoyed the fast drift dives in Port Phillip Bay (Melbourne), the entire bay is fed by a 1 mile wide rip, the tide surge is huge thus really fast drift dives, we are talking 15 - 20 knots here! The only small fly in the ointment was the seal colony that acted as the local white pointer McDonalds!

Visibility in the lakes really depends on the time of year. The colder you get, the clearer the water tends to be. 20-100' is really good visibility, but it's totally worth it for some of the best shipwreck diving. It's nothing like Hawaii where you can see for several hundred feet.