Foam Rock Wall Tank Inserts

4ReefCoral

This is a project I have been working on as part of the refurbishing of my 300 gallon tank. The tank is in-wall and in the past I had stacked live rock piles to cover the back wall and sides which are coated with a black epoxy. This resulted in a lot of volume in the tank being taken up by rock so this time around I wanted to try this technique. There are two panels that will be siliconed to the tank sides and two panels on the back that are free standing with a gap of about 4" from the back of the tank for the plumbing and fish hideout/caves. I plan to stack a layer of live rock on the two shelves that are created over the caves to help seed the dry rock.

There is also a narrow column of rock slightly offset from center and about that gives depth and something for the fish to swim around. The back wall of the tank will also have a sheet of dark blue acrylic adhered to it for added depth, I will park a magnet behind the rock to keep the back acrylic clean. It's been a fun project and I think it will look pretty good once some live stuff (hopefully not hair algae) starts to grow on it. Let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the idea, there are some others that have done some cool stuff on reef central. The foam I used is the one made to use in koi pond building so it is UV resistant and fish safe. Great Foam brand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Made some progress over the long weekend if you want to check out the album. The sump build is coming along, refurbished an old 75 and cut my own baffles from HD acrylic. Picked up a used skimmer and pairing it with a new BB skimmer pump. Got everything plumbed and then broke it down to give it a paint job, I guess inspired by the dude that paints everything orange.

Filling the tank now and I had one portion of dry rock / foam float to the surface, I guess the rock to foam ratio was not enough to hold it down. I will pile some live rock on it when the tank is full and running. The sides and back are holding down okay, I added a few more dabs of silicone along the top to stick them to the tank better.