Question for SPS Pros

I have a large green monti cap. It has large brown "dead areas" and need to know if this is normal or if my lights are burning it? Its growing and is vibrant green but there are four now of these brown spots.

My other three monti caps seem fine but they are under lights on other parts of the tank and reason I'm wanting the par meter.

Mine developed some deadpan spots in 2-3 days. Up to then it was very healthy in the same spot near the back of my tank. I moved mine to the center of my tank. In 3 days it bounced back 100%, so in my case I guess it just needed more light all of a sudden.

I'm WAY closer to a SPS newbie then a pro though

If your alk jumped around then yes that could have caused it. Yes, monti eating nudi's, they are a pest that eat monti's. Generally you won't really know they are there until all your monti's are affected. But they cause patches like your seeing. I would say if all your monti's were showing this issue i'd be concerned, but if its isolated not so much, but i would bust out a flashlight at night to check on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I started with half a cup and ran it for about 3 weeks then went to a cup and I run it for about 3 weeks but I've noticed that since I've been running this gfo it to one side with the Browning and other issues I'm having with my SPS so is it possible I'm stripping too much stuff out? And just shut it off just run carbon and or bio pellets and carbon

I don't recall the exact number I just know that it was in the high to medium range according to the charts. I did not aggressively test but I did after the first 3 weeks and they were cut in half so for some reason I keep thinking they're like 08 or something like that

If that's all that has changed in your tank it very well could be the fact you pulled down your phosphates. I've had great growth and colors with phosphates over .1 on sps. I would never try to pull my po4 below .05. Gfo is one of those hit or miss media's. If you don't need it don't mess with it.