Tank Temp

dogum99

What would be the ideal tank temp to try to maintain. I don't know how 2-3 degree shift affects the tank inhabitants. I have had my tank set to 78 degrees and didn't know if maybe there was a better temp I should try to keep it at.

I keep mine at a controlled 79 year round. Some experts (Shimek for one) say to match the summertime temperature of the most diverse reefs which are like 82-87F. The theory -- that Mother Nature knows best. I find that when my temp gets above 80, snails start dying.

Deelbek maintains that a significantly lower temperature is best. He says many corals, inverts, fish, spawn at warmer temperatures and all the gametes will deplete oxygen, poison the tank, cause skimmer bubble collapse, etc. etc.

Deelbek recommends 74-78. He cites a study where corals innoculated with disease but kept at that temperature range developed no disease after twenty days. However, 100% of those kept at 82 degrees developed disease within 16 days. He says that higher temps for a few months in the summer are generally okay, but to be aware of the risk. The respiration rate of all living things in the tank increases.

In the winter I have trouble keeping the temp. up. I never let it get below 72 degrees. so all year long my takn is 72-78. I have a basement sump so it keeps it cool.

Do your fish wear little mittens and wool hats? Sorry, just the mental image I had. That's a little chilly compared to what many tanks are kept at normally. Lower temp is supposed to be better for 02 levels, to a degree (NPI). Any observations during the colder months? Are growth rates and polyp extension about the same?