Aquarium mishaps...

I know the year isn't over yet, but... what is your worse aquarium related mishap? I think I just had mine...

Today I was doing maint. on my tanks per usual for a Wednesday. I drained about 45g out of my 125g African Cichlid tank and started to fill it back up with the hose.

I stepped away to try an new joinery technique I had read about online (splined miter joint) that I'm going to try using for my next stand. This where things went bad.

When I go to the garage... I'm like a kid in a candy store. I get easily distracted. No clue how long I was in there...

Came back inside heard water running... WTF??? Damn, it dawns on me what I did. Water soaked carpet something fierce!

Thank the gods for shop-vacs! I filled an 18g shop-vac 3 times. It's still wet in there. :(

Definately not the worse mishap, but I had a 5Gal bucket of RO water with a 1/4 in tubing siphoning into my tank. I also had the RODI system upstairs with a line ran direct into the tank to fill it up. I figured the RO bucket of water (above the tank level) would empty and the RO system would continue to fill the tank while I was at work.

Well.... the soon to be ex wife picked up the bucket off the stairs and set it on the floor below the tank level.

I got home, and the RODI system filled the tank while at the same time, the siphon from the small tube filled the bucket...overflowed....and dumped about 30 gallons on my vinyl entryway flooring.

At least it was a easy clean up....I used all her clean clothes to mop it up.

LOL

I was doing a water change this weekend and managed to bump the powerhead that feeds my above-tank fuge. It was just enough to dislodge it from the flexible tubing that it pumps into. So the fuge drained low enough that it broke the siphon to the U-tube overflow. I heard it suck air and corrected the powerhead/tubing issue. I have airline tubing fed into the U-tube to keep air bubbles from accumulating in there and breaking the siphon, so I just plugged the fuge-feeding powerhead back into the tubing and let the fuge fill, continuing with my water change. Unfortunately (can you see where this is going?) I'd also bumped the airline tubing away from the suctioning powerhead, so the siphon didn't start back up as the fuge filled!!

Luckily I was standing right there as it happened and not a lot of water poured over the tank's edge, but it was good for an OMG (and a few other choice words)! Am I the only one who tries to clean up these little floods without announcing to my spouse why I suddenly need a stack a towels and the mop? LOL, like he can't figure it out! I need to get a float valve on the fuge to kick off the powerhead that feeds the fuge, better get that ordered before I forget again.

I've also flooded the kitchen more times than I count when I've forgotten that I had a 5 gallon bucket filling with RODI. Now I fill a 38 gallon trash bin with it in the basement, so I flood the basement instead!

I have two:

First one was when i was a junior in college...i had a 35 gallon saltwater tank. I put a lamp with oil on top of it. You knwo the rest (it spilled in the tank). So i rush to the the lfs to pick up some salt to make some replacement water. I was in such a hurry and I was scanning the horizon and saw a red light up ahead. Well I managed to go across a four lane intersection (busy as hell) jump a median, blow out two tires, and some how not wreck anyone else...

2nd story

Day of my condo inspection 3 days before its sale I flooded my office (left my rodi on overnight). So the person inspecting was going to be there in a few hours. I rented a carpet cleaner and sucked out the water as best i could and then added water and cleaner and soaked the rest of the carpets. LEft em a not stating carpets are extremely wet after cleaning the, please keep shoes on....the humidity in the house was 90% at least...

I have done the same as you guys with leaving RODI running way too long. It pisses me off more each time it happens.:lol: I swear I think to myself " I better just go ahead and shut it off now or I will forget, nah I want another 5 gal. before I go to bed" And you guessed it flooded kitchen again. :x

I too have flooded my dining room floor lucky for me my house has a cellar so it drains down through a vent and runs onto a dirt floor. The worst was toping off my 75 with ro forgot it was on went to work and filled my sump full it dropped my salt level to 1.019. many four letter words.

Hhmm, where do I start...

How about ....

cleaning my halide bulbs with a wet cloth at the same moment the timer turned them on 8O

moving a 110 by myself and forgetting it had a bulkhead sticking out the bottom. Then setting it down and hearing a CRACK!

Dropping my lights into the tank.

Busting the bottom out of my daughters 29 by pushing down too hard on the liverock supports.

Putting a 29 gallon tank on top of one of those cheapo tv stands you get from Wal-Mart. Amazingly the tank went straight down but our wedding album that was under it broke the fall.

Dropping the new sump I just made and watching it shatter into a dozen pieces.

Buying 4 new tiny clownfish and putting them in the same tank as my lionfish.

And I can't even begin to count the # of ro/di floods I've had in 4 different houses.

But I think the dumbest thing that I've ever done was staying in this hobby even after everything that's happened.

LONG LIVE THE STUPID!