How to move a 300+ gallon glass tank?

A friend of mine just bought a house that has a very large tank (7' X 34" X 29") in the basement and has offered it to me free, I just have to figure out how to get it out of there.

This is a dream come true fro me but I need ideas of how to move it. It has to come out of the wall or doorway to the small fish room go across the basement, then up the stairs.

I know some people use those suction cup holders but I really don't know their details. How many people do you think will be needed to move it?

Advice appreciated.

Steve

I responded on one of your other posts.

Suction cups and straps are the best way. Combined with brute force and enough people to overcome obstacles and/or exhaustion. You need a couple people on standby to relieve anyone who needs it.

If possible use a pickup or trailed versus a van/SUV as it makes getting it in that much easier.

Anyone have brands of straps and/or suction cups they have used? Also I'm not quite sure how they work. How many suction cups are needed for 6 guys 6 or 12? The straps I saw don't look like they will go the 7 foot of the tank. I don't see how anyone would be able to be on the sides of the tank while going up the steps.

The club has a set of suction cups for loan/rent and I think that someone else in the club has a good set as well....maybe Shane (reefhappy)

When we moved my 600 I built a skid out of 2X4s and then screwed handles to it in addition to the suction cups. Placing it on the floor and pulling up the stairs with a good group of volunteers would carry the weight up stairs and reduce risk of someone getting hurt. I picked up a few good suction cups for the club shortly after my move and also have the few that I own.

IMG_1710-X2.jpg

IMG_1714-XL.jpg

IMG_1718-X2.jpg

IMG_1725-X2.jpg

also bring a couple pair of sturdy saw horses, that way if folks need a rest, the tank won't need to be set on the ground/floor and then picked back up.... seriously saves the backs of those helping.

What a great idea!

So I can't measure apparently and the width is only 24" instead of 32" which makes it a stock 260 gallon. Just a bit smaller, still I think a challenge but much more doable. The current owner is a body builder and he claimed with no hyperbole that as long as his end was 300 lbs or less we would be fine. I think with several other guys and straps suction cups ect it will work.

I really like the idea of the frame as I was thinking something similar to start with. I like the idea of maybe moving it on the frame that then is just put on top (and attached) to the stand in essence doubling the thickness of the top rails.The owner is short though and brought up a good point that the handles on the bottom need to be out quite a ways from the tank end because of the angle the carried tank up the stairs actually places the tank where the person on the bottom would stand. So any ideas of handles for the bottom carriers?