Electric Bill

Lucas

Man that sucks! Seems really high to me as well. When I was in Noblesville I ran a 195g with 40g frag tank. House was 2600sf and generally electricity/gas was 150-300 max averaging 200 I would imagine. Now I live in Martinsville/Mooresville in a 5200sf house, 180g tank and 37g frag tank, all t5 and my electricity/gas runs 200-300 per month. My new house is much better insulated than my prior house. Working in the Insulation industry I see this as the biggest issue with high electrical cost. I know my house is under insulated and I would imagine 80% or higher are, but insulation is going to be a huge factor here.

Has anyone ever looked into solar tubes? The only thing I would replace halides with would be sunlight. I wonder if I put up enough solar tubes or whatever they are called through the roof over the tanks if it would be enough to get rid of the lights? Supposedly they put out more light than a traditional skylight.

I'm not sure our days are consistently sunny enough to have solar tubes in midwest. Would need to detect that light is present during a certain period and if not, turn on regular lighting. As far as the aesthetics, it'd take some getting used to as the coral colors would be drastically different unless you provided supplemental lighting. The '10k' lighting would be great for growth, just not so much color.

I'm with Bob on this one and the importance of three fridges. I also have three and have considered a fourth.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The best way to keep stocked with beer and ensure there is always a fridge within reach!

wow, that seams high. I have a 7000 sq foot house with 23000 gal unheated in- ground pool, 34 gal tank with led lighting, 180 gal tank with 3/150 HQI metal halide & w/4 power compact light fixture. 3 QT tanks running. I am a stay at home mom, so home all the time with lights and tv running all day long. Air conditioner is set at 78 and my highest bill is $370 The swimming pool adds about $100 a month. I have two hvac units. One is for the upstairs and is a traditional unit, but for the main unit I have a geo thermo water furnace.

We keep our thermostat at about 73 degrees so that may account for some of the difference. Of course, my son has a home built PC that can do amazing things...including eating up some electricity!

Same here. My house is very rarely ever above 70. I'd be like the witch from oz at 78 and climbing into bed.

My bill we had for July was $170 but everyone was home almost all day, every day with things on and the house at 68-70. That's with both tanks and was a reasonably high bill for that time of year due to it being pretty warm and humid.