AI, Reefbreeders, or Kessil?

Copycat

Right now, I am considering these 3: reefbreeders photon 48---$800 for two used fixtures. Controllable, budget friendly, no shimmer lines. Next would be AI Sol Blues----$1000 for five used fixtures. Better quality than reefbreeders. Super deal I'd be getting. Not sure if 5 would be enough. My top pic are the Kessil 360we. These mimic the shimmer equal to, if not better than MH. The color I've seen is incredible. Looks very natural as well, like a shallow reef in Fiji. They are also $250-300 each. I think I would need 4 for my tank. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 48 reefbreeder photon on my 75 (since April). I haven't really noticed much growth in SPS, but my anemones went crazy along with my hammers/ frogspawn.

Maybe water quality issues? I've had mine for less than 5-6 months and have seen amazing growth. I have an sps frag I got when first starting my tank in February that is probably 5x it's original size. I also have a gorgeous reverse superman monti that has taken over my LR. I have had absolutely zero issues with light or growing frags out.

I have been doing a ton of research on LED recently and have decided to go with a Kessil 360we. I have seen some threads on ReefCentral that have shown they can grow SPS as long as the water quality is good. The Radion XR-30 Pro was my second choice as it has been proven to grow coral at a decent rate (with correct water parmas as well), but for almost 1/2 the money I am going to give the Kessil a shot.

I think I get pretty good sps growth rate with the value fixture reef breeders. Some of the colors don't pop like I would like but I think that has more to do with lack of nutrients and possibly getting the light channels dialed in correctly than the led fixture itself. I've been running these for over 2 years and have an sps dominant tank.

• Like 1

I have AI Hydra 52'w with good growth. I also don't think they have the puck laser beam effect like the earlier generations. I also really like the Kessils and have a 160 otw for my nano. The shimmer is awesome.

While I would buy AI's again, I would seriously look at Orpheks because it helps support someone that supports the club.

I think I get pretty good sps growth rate with the value fixture reef breeders. Some of the colors don't pop like I would like but I think that has more to do with lack of nutrients and possibly getting the light channels dialed in correctly than the led fixture itself. I've been running these for over 2 years and have an sps dominant tank.

Pretty ridiculous growth in this tank....you need to see it in person. These are value fixtures too, manually controlled.

Reef breeders work quite well, especially when you consider the initial investment and a better warranty than the "big guys" give you.

Anything more or less grows with good water, color just won't be as great so that's a given.

It just comes down to what you want the final look to be and the budget available to you. All fixtures mentioned will certainly get the job done. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably do atlantiks or the xr30 pro, mostly just for the wow factor/control via a tablet. Eva use making something easier to handle is always welcome on a tank and the fact they grow just about anything under themy isn't bad either.

Update: after hours of racking my brain, I've decided to go for the AI Hydra LEDs. I just bought my first off of Reef Central for $220 shipped. The price was right and I can't pass up that deal. :)7e5e81b67985338102534eb7408e8cb2.jpgd39ed28c323151f7dbbaba24091b4a91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk