Copper contaminanting tank

Blue Reef

Hi All,

My system is contaminated with copper and I was hoping to get some advice on the best way to proceed. I converted my old freshwater tank to a reef tank in August. I used live rock/sand, cycled it, and then added fish. All of my fish have done great (two false clowns, a six-line wrasse, and a kaudern's cardinal fish. However, whenever I tried to add coral to the tank, the coral would close up and eventually die. After a few rounds of this, I took my water to the LFS for testing and discovered that the parameters looked perfect except that I had copper in the water (not sure if the tank was previously treated with copper or if I purchased a bad batch of rock). I have been doing large water changes and running a filter with cuprisorb and polyfilter and the copper level in the water column is almost undetectable - one more big water change and a couple more days of filtering and I should be at zero. The one zoanthid that did not completely die off has started opening up a little more every day, which has never happened before. I have been told by some that I need to throw out the tank, sand, and rock and just start over. I would rather not do this, but if that is really the only thing I can do to have a successful reef I will. Just wanted some more opinions as that is a rather pricey option. Thanks in advance for the help!

Don't add coral and would say before just throwing everything out that you let it be without the filtration to pull the metals out. Do water changes as you normally would and periodically do copper tests to see where the levels are. If they are gone, maybe you've pulled out whatever caused the original problem. If it keeps coming back, getting rid of the sand/rock might be the end solution. What type of water do you use for your reef? What's the TDS measure out to?

Thanks for the reply! I am using RO/DI water and don't have a TDS meter yet, but the media in the RO/DI system was changed about three months ago and last week I ran a copper test on the water coming out of the system and that read zero.

I had read on another forum that even if the copper in the water column was zero, it could remain bound to the rock/sand and be toxic to corals. Is that true?

I'm not exactly sure how it could be harmful to the coral if it's bound inside the rock but cannot speak from experience. I mentioned not putting any coral in place just so you can figure out without burning money and good to hear you have RO/DI unit. Based on the size of the tank and the amount of water you'd change over the course of three months I'd expect your TDS is acceptable.

(Not to side track but would recommend this dual in-line TDS Meter)

Not to be a downer but I've read that if copper was ever used in a tank that it cant be fully removed. It gets into silicone.

Paul, I've heard this too and always ask when I bought used tanks if they were ever treated with copper. I just don't know how copper, if trapped in the silicone would have negative impact on the coral if it's not in the water column.

I would question the test kit by a second opinion. I have a copper test kit myself and only used it twice. If your 100% sure your test kit is good then I would also follow the above recommendations.

I once had what the club called the tank of death but it was due I believe to contaminated sand bed. Not at all related to the problems you are having but I got rid of my sand as per everyone's advice

and my tank cured itself over a 6 month period.

Best of luck with this. If you need another test kit let me know. I'll try to help

Dustin - I guess it leaches out of the silicone? You know the internet but I was just sharing what I read. Might be easier and cheaper to get a new tank instead of going through all the hassle of trying to remove it and never getting it out?

• 4 weeks later...

So my copper levels never did become undetectable even with the cuprisorb, polyfilter, and carbon in the HOB filter. I double checked the test with the controls that came in the system and with my RO/DI water so I believe the result. I decided that it would be simpler at this point to just start over, and bought a new tank and live rock. This may be a dumb question, but is there any chance that anything plastic (powerhead, plumbing to the sump, etc) would be contaminated with copper or should a good rinse with RO/DI water when I change everything out suffice? I haven't found anything on the internet that says it would be contaminated, but wanted some input from you guys.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Calcuim based substates will hold on to and leach it back into the water, so all of them (sand, gravel, etc) should be completely removed/replaced.

Also, copper test kits are made to detect medication levels and cant detect levels low enough to determine the much lower levels which are toxic to invertabrate - so the test may show low, or undetectable levels of copper but copper levels may still be many times higher than what is toxic to corals. JMTC & GL!

The more I read on various forums, the more concerned I was that there would be copper leaching out my rock and sand for a long time without any way for me to tell if it was completely gone or not. So I did end up replacing all of the rock and sand when I bought my new tank. It was a little painful to have to start over, but second time around I was a little wiser thanks to you guys and I am much happier with my new set up. The new tank has been up and running (after curing the new rock in a trash can) for about 3 weeks. My paly frag that survived four months of copper poisoning(!) is opening up and growing now and I added a blasto frag last week that looks great. At least it looks great until my clown headbutts it to knock it off the rock and then dusts off the rock with her tail.

Thanks for all of the help! I am almost done with working Saturdays and will be able to start coming to meetings soon. :)