Skimmer Recommendations?

Dustin1300

As many of you know I'm currently in the works of building a 600 gallon DT and taking it at a pace I can afford and enjoy the build process. Right now I just wrapped up getting the stand built so I'm starting to think more and more about equipment. Originally I had my heart set on the Octopus XP8000 External but I keep hearing people bash on issues with the BB pumps? I've had the SRO 3000 internal on my system for a few years and it's a consistent skimmer and pump needs a cleaning every 6 months but never have any startup issues.

I've been recommended the ATB 12.5 Deluxe from several people and curious what others have to say? Any other suggestions outside of the BKs as I don't think they are worth the price tag! External version of this: http://atbskimmers.com/tag/deluxe-12-5/

System volume will likely be around 1000 gallons after it's all said and done. 525 gallon DT, 140 gallon frag tank, 90 gallon fuge, 85 gallon sump, couple 40Bs, and likely another sump I've not yet drawn up. I'd like to have a mixed reef with 60-70% SPS and a medium/heavy bioload. Thoughts and opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.

You can always get a custom skimmer made from geo. they seem to get a lot of praise

As far as GEO, I don't believe George even makes these anymore. Nothing is listed on the site and I've already been speaking to him about a custom Calcium Reactor for my setup.

As far as GEO, I don't believe George even makes these anymore. Nothing is listed on the site and I've already been speaking to him about a custom Calcium Reactor for my setup.

I've checked out the cora site recently in preparation for the swap and I have seen quite a few people post stating that he does make them, but only as custom jobs. The way the posts make it sound is that the locals are the ones who he makes them for, but that could be just because they are the ones who are asking. Either way, we are not too far from him so it might be worth a shot. I have no idea what the cost would be on them or if there is a neck cleaner that would fit one, but I thought I'd give you something else to consider. Plus since they are custom built you would be able to get it build to fit your needs.

Definitely going to consider it. I'll shoot George something and see what he comes back with. From what was explained to me, beckett skimmers are flexible on volumes of water so the HSA 3000 (Rated for up to 2500 Gallons) would work on 500 or 2500, only downside is the additional power consumption!

My list continually grows and JR mentioned SuperSKimmers which is used on the huge tank he helps maintain.

Below is some of them....Anyone have any thoughts? http://www.superskimmer.com/Skimmers%201.htm

Only thing I find odd about these skimmers is the fact that you have to replace the bioballs every six months on the downdraft pipe.

I'm open on any skimmer that has a great price/performance factor (Not the BK, way overpriced....Does a BK spit out gold or am I missing something :P )

I've come across a BK Super Marine 250 Internal that is tempting me since it's a more reasonable price for a skimmer this size. Choices, choices, choices....I am tempted to pay now but also want to not kick myself after seeing a great skimmer at MACNA. The RLSS 12 external is a nice skimmer too.

That BK does look like a good deal. Are they really that much better than a SRO?

I think buying a BK for a similar to the price of a new SRO is probably a better investment. I've got many options, just need to pull the trigger but not going to until I've checked out what's available at MACNA!

I think buying a BK for a similar to the price of a new SRO is probably a better investment. I've got many options, just need to pull the trigger but not going to until I've checked out what's available at MACNA!

Smart idea on waiting until MACNA. Most vendors/manufactures will have discounts, anywhere from 10-20% off. If you can wait a couple more weeks, you likely won't be sorry. See you in Dallas!

I have been looking into the Bill Wann Skimmers (Aquarium Engineering, Inc.) and can say I've never seen skimmers of such quality. I'm awaiting the price on a skimmer for my system but it's at the top of my list and I don't mind supporting a product made in the USA.

Bill is not all that far from here and could probably make it to his house in 4 hours. Should I buy a skimmer from him anyone want to drive up to Wisconsin one Saturday and check out his 20,000+ gallon system :P

These skimmers and reactors he makes seem to be BULLET PROOF.

I'll add my two cents : ) If you go external i'd go beckett as they cycle much more water than a needle wheel recirc and for your system size that will be important. I would personally go with a in sump as they cycle plenty of water and you don't have to worry about leaking or having a major catastrophy. I've never seen a external skimmer that didn't eventually overflow or leak. With 1000g that could be a major leak.

I'll add my two cents : ) If you go external i'd go beckett as they cycle much more water than a needle wheel recirc and for your system size that will be important. I would personally go with a in sump as they cycle plenty of water and you don't have to worry about leaking or having a major catastrophy. I've never seen a external skimmer that didn't eventually overflow or leak. With 1000g that could be a major leak.

Problem with in-sump with a beckett is that it's too tall for my sump clearance. I could always use an external and put it in a tub/cube of acrylic should it leak. Going to post some pics of custom skimmer I'm talking to Bill about.