When should my Coraline Aglea start growing?

Hey guys and gals, I have had my tank running for 4 months now. I'm seeing green/brown algea everywhere. The hermits, crabs and conch are taking care of it nicely. (I need to get some snails for the glass). When I bought rock I got probably 10lbs worth of live rock. The other 50ish lbs of rock I have is the white "dead" rock. I'm wanting to know when I can expect to start seeing the white rock start getting coraline algea. Am I just being too impatient? Is there something more I should be adding or doing?

I have been testing my water and other than a slight Alkalinity drop. (I fixed with Baking Soda). I think my perameters have been in the normal range - these are the latest.

ph 8.0; Alk 8.7; NO2 0; NO3 0.20; CA 350; MG 1440

If you don't have any coraline algae on the rock already then you need to 'seed' it. Also, your params look in check except for calcium, typically I've found that coraline loves that calcium number a little higher in the 400-450 range. (Big three for coraline is optimal params of alk, calcium, and mag)

Don't waste your money on purple up and once you have coraline, you'll wish you did not have it as it encrusts EVERYTHING! :P

If you don't have any coraline algae on the rock already then you need to 'seed' it. Also, your params look in check except for calcium, typically I've found that coraline loves that calcium number a little higher in the 400-450 range. (Big three for coraline is optimal params of alk, calcium, and mag)

Don't waste your money on purple up and once you have coraline, you'll wish you did not have it as it encrusts EVERYTHING! :P

+1 here. It took me about a year to get my levels in check and steady. I was the same as you in that I wanted that beautiful purple stuff on my rocks. I had about 30lbs of dry base and 10 or so live to start. As soon as my parameters were in check the purple stuff went nuts! Rock, glass, anything plastic, even snail shells. Get a good scraper for your glass.

+2

Controlling Ca, Alk, Mg are the keys to growth. Nutrient control is also quite important, as excess phosphates will inhibit calcification.

IMO, learning and controlling the nutrient and calcification trends of your tank are the biggest challenges of reef keeping, and vital to long-term success. Well, that and your budget! :)

thanks guys! What's everyone use for their phosphate test kits? I got the impression at the water parameters meeting that phosphates where hard to test for depending on lights on or off, time of day etc. When is the best time to test for phosphates? or best method to test for phosphates?

I use a less expensive API test. I have found that as long as you test about the same time of day every day you test has done best for me. It took me awhile to get used to having to keep things as constant as I can since my schedule is usually so hectic. I've actually started to believe my aquarium is treatment for ADHD. Lol

Because of color test kits difficulty to read for Phosphate, I like using the Hanna Checker. Everything else I currently use Salifert and think they are the most accurate. With the Hanna Checker just realize it has a +/-4% accuracy so it could be off .04 ppm so I'm always targeting 0.00 on the meter. Most accurate way to test Phosphates IMO.

Hanna Checker