I need help

dogum99

I am about to the point of quiting altogether. My corals are dying at first they were just not growing. I have lost every sps in my tank. I am very frustraded. Last week my params were ca 500 no 0 alk 9 salinity 1.025 Ph around 8. I don't know what to do. All my fish are doing good. Could this still be part of what poisoned my tank a few months back?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Levels don't look that bad. Probably a silly question but there isn't a chance that copper got in the tank somehow? I was reading on RC a while back and someone had want sounded like the same thing going one. Turns out there was a couple pennies in their sump. Fish were fine but corals got wiped out.

Levels don't look that bad. Probably a silly question but there isn't a chance that copper got in the tank somehow? I was reading on RC a while back and someone had want sounded like the same thing going one. Turns out there was a couple pennies in their sump. Fish were fine but corals got wiped out.

Not to my knowledge. Ever since I put those filter pads in my tank it has never been the same.

You've probably already tried a series of massive water changes after you took those out. Are you currently running carbon?

Yeah I am running carbon. I am trying to get my frag tank situated so if I have to I can move out all my corals.

I am about to the point of quiting altogether. My corals are dying at first they were just not growing. I have lost every sps in my tank. I am very frustraded. Last week my params were ca 500 no 0 alk 9 salinity 1.025 Ph around 8. I don't know what to do. All my fish are doing good. Could this still be part of what poisoned my tank a few months back?

What is happening to the corals? Are they browning out then fading away, bleaching, RNTing?

All my sps have lost their polyps, the skeletons are the same color they were. My watermelon chalice went from purple to white. I have been noticing it for the last couple of weeks. None of my zoas have grown in the last 4 months except one. Course my xenia is thriving like it always has. I look at my wifes nano and its beautify, corals grow, the water is crystal clear. Then I look at my tank and there is little particles floating around. I have had frags for over a year that haven't grown at all. I am almost thinking starting over would be better.

What is your water temps, high and low point? Also have you considered testing for voltage leaks in any power-heads you might have submerged ? I have seen voltage leaks wipe out SPS before other corals.

My temps stay around 78 degrees thanks to my controller. How would I go about testing for voltage?

Whenever polyp extension on sps stops, 2 things come to my mind. A fish that's nipping them, or red bugs. Have you added any fish recently, or frags that might have been infected?

As far as the chalice. Has it been in the same place for a long time?

This is the way I've always heard of doing it. Others might know of other ways.

get a voltage meter and set it to 120 AC.

Insert the black probe in the grounding hole in an outlet and the red probe in the water.

Whenever polyp extension on sps stops, 2 things come to my mind. A fish that's nipping them, or red bugs. Have you added any fish recently, or frags that might have been infected?

As far as the chalice. Has it been in the same place for a long time?

There isn't a fish nipping at them that I am aware of. I got a new favia the other weekend. This has been going on before I got the new favia. Would I be able to see red bugs? The chalice hasn't been moved since I got it.

There isn't a fish nipping at them that I am aware of. I got a new favia the other weekend. This has been going on before I got the new favia. Would I be able to see red bugs? The chalice hasn't been moved since I got it.

If you dip a sps coral in something like revive you can see them. The thing is red bugs irritate coral but dont kill them. They dont effect LPS typically.

I'm guessing its not a pest since it is effecting everything but the fish. Copper? Can you test for it? It could be something leaching from LR or something else in the tank. Can you check all your paremeters and report back?

Tests as of right now

No3 >1

Po4 0

Kh 10

Ca 490

Salinity 1.025

Ph around 8

I did notice a few dead snails yesterday. Should I get a copper test kit? If there is copper in my tank what will I have to get rid of?

Tests as of right now

No3 >1

Po4 0

Kh 10

Ca 490

Salinity 1.025

Ph around 8

I did notice a few dead snails yesterday. Should I get a copper test kit? If there is copper in my tank what will I have to get rid of?

Your parameters look fine but I still think its something in your water chemistry. If its copper then you'd have to identify where its coming from and remove the source.