Having a fish die off

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my tank at Culvers. I had 6 fish in it last month, now I'm down to two. I lost a Wrasse about 4 weeks ago, a yellow tang and chromis 2 weeks ago, and a clownfish today. My parameters are all pretty solid, nitrate is around a 7 on a Salifert test. All of my coral is as open as possible and thriving. My coral is really mixed, acans, SPS, plate corals, brains, and they are all growing great and have wonderful color. The shrimp and anenomes are healthy as well. The only problem I've had lately is a dark crimson or brown algae on the glass surfaces. I haven't added any new fish in probably 6-7 months, so I'm not sure how a fish parasite would have gotten in.

Any ideas? Is there some parameter that would affect fish more than coral that I may be overlooking?

Did they show signs of illness, been eating ok? What are you feeding them? I've had fish just die for no apparent reason (that I could figure out), but that does seen like a lot of loss in a short time span.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything was eating fine and there were no signs of stress or parasites on any of the fish. I had done some painting in the bathrooms but kept the door shut and the place is pretty well ventilated. Half of the die off was before the painting started though, so I don't think that's its.

I feed Omega One Marine Flakes, and once or twice per week, I'll throw in a cube of mysis or brine. There is an outside chance an employee got windex or sanitizer around the tank, but everyone knows pretty well to stay away from the tank with chemicals. Can't rule out a customer throwing something in.

Since posting, I haven't lost anything, so I'm still at two fish. I did a couple 10g water changes. The SPS in the tank has magnificent polyp extension, but my palys, anenomes, and softies look sick. Duncans and Hammers look good. If anyone wants to lend another set of eyes, PM me and I'll buy you lunch.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update, still haven't had any more fish die, so it's been about 6 weeks. I think I'm going to look to restock next week. Maybe I'll find something at the swap. Still don't know what happened. I'll just chalk it up to the nature of the hobby.