Which ATO?

I've been trying to research ATO's the past week or so. What does everyone use and why? Has anyone tried the conductivity sensor's instead of the float style? Like this for example:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_HydroFill_ATO_Controller_System_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Innovative_Marine-0I10426-FIDPETPU-vi.html

Only thing I don't like about the DIY kit is when it turns off and on it makes a buzzing noise. Since my refugium is small and skimmer pushes alot of water the float tends to go up and down...so the ATO ends up going off and on 3-4 times before its actually full. So I hear....buzzzz....buzzzz....buzzzz....lol. But still works good.

I use the tunze osmolator and really like the way it works. On a smaller tank though, like mine, I had to a value to control water flow or it sometimes over fills and the " water too high" alarm goes off and I have to take some water out. It is not much , maybe like a half cup of water needs to be removed. don't have the problem now that I put on a value.

It is overkill for a top off cost wise but, I really love the ultra precise ato from spectrapure. They are costly ($200) but draws water from my garage to my tank (35') and I don't have to have a bucket or jug under my stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

It is overkill for a top off cost wise but, I really love the ultra precise ato from spectrapure. They are costly ($200) but draws water from my garage to my tank (35') and I don't have to have a bucket or jug under my stand.

I've looked at the Litermeter III a little. That way I could do the top off and a constant water change at the same time. My only concern going with something like that is that I am not tech savvy. Anyone want to teach an old dog new tricks?

They are simple and I am close enough to come help you hook it up. The LM3 is easily one of my best investments. Just an fyi the ultra precise is a stand alone unit, it does not take a spot on the lm3 head unit nor need it to operate.

Thay have also come WAY down in price over the last few months.

If you don't mind, when I swing by to get the pumps I'll take a look at your setup. I'm not as terrified of tech as I sometimes make myself, I was just raised in the woods and like things simple. That's why I got into reefing in the first place, because it's simple....

If you don't mind, when I swing by to get the pumps I'll take a look at your setup. I'm not as terrified of tech as I sometimes make myself, I was just raised in the woods and like things simple. That's why I got into reefing in the first place, because it's simple....

Sounds logical?!?! Sometimes good idea to subscribe to the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid!

Since I'm a huge gadget nerd, my vote is for the LMIII too! I've got Guff and Shane to get one and can say they are the best investment for the lazy reefer. Really though, automatic water changes make water changes a thing of the past and helps to stabilize the system more than any other investment you can make. There are some other options out there on water change systems but think Spectrapure is your best choice. 150 small changes throughout the day screams stability, saves your back, and is much more reliable than you! (Not you, just reefers in general :P )

With the LMIII only maintenance you have to do on water changes is refill reservoir and mix up batch of salt from time to time. I do that about once every 5 weeks right now and I just put the water changes to a halt for 24-48 hours once I have the salt mixed and dialed in to right specific gravity. Don't hesitate to ask questions, make sure to get the ones with metal pump heads, and enjoy the luxury of not having to do any manual labor for water changes. Technology is really good at making us fat! :lol:

Sounds logical?!?! Sometimes good idea to subscribe to the KISS principle....Keep It Simple Stupid!

Yeah, sarcasm is tough to lay on thick through the written word.

I just have to say....Damn you and your rational thinking! Looks like that 10% on dry goods may come in handy at the meeting after all.

I actually think that they are cheaper through spectrapure right now. I was just going over this with JR on Sunday. The head unit is down to $270 and remote pumps are $120. Just 2 months ago they were 330 for the head and 170 for the remote pumps.

As well as the ultra precise was 240 and is now down to 200. I haven't checked PA site but don't think they have lowered them, this much.

Just let me know when you want to stop by for your pump and check the lm3 out, powerheads are here!

Since my sump is in the basement and I had the room/didn't care about the look, I went really cheap. Put a shelf on the wall a few feet above my sump with a 16 or so gallon container on it. Tee'd a line off my ro/di to feed it (float valve at the top so it doesn't over flow), then a simple hole drilled at the bottom, with a piece of 1/4" tubing going to a float valve in my sump. Built the bracket to hold the float valve with some scrap PVC pipe (heated it with a heat gun and flattened it), and put a valve in the middle so I could turn it off during water changes. No power, just gravity fed.

In leiu of the lm3 couldnt you just use a paristaltic pump with timer control? Or does the lm3 do more thab I think it does?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Once tubes are ran you calibrate and it calibrates based on head pressure. You could do this based on adjusting time too but you'd need really fast paristaltic pumps as the lm3 is a lot faster than the normal 1.1mL/min doser.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4.

What is the benefit of a faster pump? Is this needed to overcome large head pressure?

Thread officially hijacked... sorry -_-

To pump out the volume. For example....

Very Common Dosing Pump, BM T01 can only do 2 Liters (1,999 mL) of fluid a day per pump. Compare that to the LMIII and you can do 99 Liters per day per pump. Most people are not going to be able to do water changes on 2 liters a day unless they have a very small tank. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense! I'm just wondering if you couldnt get away with another pump, like a positive displacement pump... I realise it would probably just be better to buy a lm3 but diy is one of my favorite parts of this hobby and I'm curious if I can so It or not lol