How did I get all that coraline algae in my tank?

Imjustgud

2013 03 18 20.11.14

I have had many people ask me how it is that I got all of that coraline algae in my tank. I always say it was easy, but it took awhile. First things first, I made sure all of my water parameters were in check and I had ample lighting. I started with T5s with about 4 watts per gallon. I now have a larger equivalent wattage with my LEDS and it now grows even faster.

Getting things started was actually pretty easy. I looked up all kinds of ways people did it on youtube and went with the method that looked the most believable.

Items you will need:

• A rock or some that has the coraline algae on it already to use as a source (recommend something small and without anything else living on it)
  • A small bowl with about a cup of water from the tank
  • Something sharp to scrape with

Step 1: Hold the item with the coraline algae over the bowl and scrape as much of the top surface of the existing coraline algae off.

Step 2: Make sure all of the scrapings go into the bowl including the ones from the scraper.

Step 3: Put the item that you scraped back into the tank wherever you pulled it from.

Step 4: Pour the contents of the bowl into your tank, a little on one side and a little on the other. Make sure to get this into the flow of the currents in your tank.

Step 5: Wait

Step 6: Once the coraline algae has grown back on the item you initially scraped, it it time to repeat steps 1 - 5 again.

I repeated this 3 times total and have been the recipient of the amount you see in my tank today.

Be warned!!! Once you start, it's a done deal!

Hope this helps those of you wanting to grow coraline algae and I did not ever use Purple Up or anything like that to try to enhance the growth.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the concept behind Purpleup is sound, as I understand it's a combination of alk, mag, iodine and a finely ground aragonite particles which acts as substrate for free floating coraline algae to start growing from, I have found it effective but honestly not really required. You can probably get the same response by adding a small cup of fresh aragonite sand to your tank and keeping the parameters on point.

I'm a scrapper. Im always cleaning it off the sides and front and what ever open areas I can get to in back.

I plan to attempt this on my tank but we'll see how well I can keep up. Tanks look best when the back is black and you have that good contrasting color against the rocks/coral.

I plan to attempt this on my tank but we'll see how well I can keep up. Tanks look best when the back is black and you have that good contrasting color against the rocks/coral.

I agree and with the next tank I will be leaving the back wall open so that I can get to it. This is one of the many reasons I really like your aquascape Dustin.

My 28 I purposely let go just to see how quickly it would fill in and since the 3rd week of march when water went in, its probably 50% covered on all panels! Its coming down shortly, was just an experiment and I knew id be moving the tank beforehand.

I want to keep all panels on the new tank nice and shiny as well. Any suggestions aside from daily once overs?

I want to keep all panels on the new tank nice and shiny as well. Any suggestions aside from daily once overs?

If using LEDs use optics to your advantage! By having the light not spill onto the glass/acrylic it will drastically reduce/stop the growth. I previously did not have light spilling onto my overflow wall on my frag tank and it did not have any coraline. Now that it has light being blasted on it, I've got a solid blanket of coraline in 1-2 months.

It's still new to me so I don't mind it much...it concerns me a bit seeing it develop on the pumps. I guess I need to make it part of a PM cycle to take the pumps out and soak them in vinegar occasionally.

It doesn't really hurt your tank but it can jsut take over and cut out the viewing. I also clean my power heads about once ever two months as well just to keep them fresh and check to be sure everything is good and the blades are clean and nick free. My battle now is just brown settling on the glass. Even with all the water movement I have I have to once a day use the mag scrapper to clear it away. I'm sure its coming from my diamond goby. He has been tunneling under my rocks for two months now and last night dropped the center design as it colapsed. I haven't seen him this morning and its sad that part of me hopes he got his fat head pinched but he is cool to watch working and jsut wish he would get the sand dunes he is making and leave the tunneling out.

I made the decision to not worry about the back glass because the previous owner painted it black. I keep the sides and the front clear. One thing I've noticed is my sump is getting covered big time.

Your goby issue, I have hopefully prevented by making an acrylic tube lattice work to support the rock just above the sand. This way I only set a couple light rocks on the sand to hide the tubes that protrude slightly above the sand bed and the bulk of the rock remains suspended above the sand bed, hopefully preventing any dead spots, but definitely preventing any risk of collapse via the sand crew.

Ill probably do something similar to keep rock stable, as far a foundation goes. I don't usually run a very deep sand bed so the rock is pretty stable. I've never had a collapse that wasn't caused by me bumping something.

I usually pull all of my pumps every 2-3 months and do a soak and clean them up like new. Seems to work well as there is usually minimal buildup and I've yet to have to replace an impeller on something that wasn't many years old.

Dustin, as my understanding goes, please correct me if I am not understanding correctly, there are only 4 main requirements for coraline to grow.

Since coralline algae is calcerious, as with any other calcifying organism (such as hard corals) it requires similar conditions. This would include:

• suitable light intensity
  • stable and sufficient calcium concentration
  • stable and sufficient alkalnity levels
  • low phosphate concentrations
So wouldn't the lack of PO4 and an abundance of Ca, Alk and Light support a faster growth rate?

• 1 year later...