Gussets or No Gussets?

Agreed. I think I'm just going to grab two one gallon kits locally of the black and I'll paint the underside of the plywood for the tank white and base plywood white. That will help illuminate and I'll likely use the following under cabinet lights: http://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-LSP30KBAMCC-Surface-Cabinet-Lighting/dp/B003INDKXA/ref=lp_3736741_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1345633822&sr=1-14

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you looked into Mighty sealer or Permaseal? It puts a rubberized layer on. It is used to waterproof things.

So many different options. Herculiner in the line of bedliners seems to have the best reviews and has been used by many without any problem flaking. Dupli-color, hippo liner, etc all had very mixed reviews so I'm a bit leery about them. I'll check out the two you mentioned and Mighty Sealer seems to have it in white.

I've got to say I love there commercial....Leaky sink, just spray it with MIGHTY SEALER! Guys, we've found the ultimate leak proofer for our tanks...If you have a tank that silicone is breaking down, just spray the outside with clear mighty sealer! No more worries! :P

Mighty Sealer is locally available at Menards for $4.99 a bottle and covers 14 sq ft. The stand comes out to ~59 sq ft so It'd take five cans which is dirt cheap. Trying to find if anyone's used it in aquaria but can't find anyone that has used it on there stands. Honestly from some of the reviews it looks like it's just like underbody spray that you'd use on automobile. You know of anyone that's used it?

I went ahead and put an order in for two one gallon kits of the black Herculiner at ACE. My only concern....The two metal tubes meet together and has the potential of getting moisture in there if the Herculiner does not fill the gap. Anyone have an idea on what I could use to fill the gap and then paint over with the Herculiner later?

I'm thinking along the lines of JB Weld/JB Stick but would take a lot? Possible loadable caulk gun solution you can think of that I could just run a line along the joint to ensure it's filled before painting on the Herculiner? I'm open to ideas and experiences :P

Just spent over an hour grinding down and doing more prepwork on the stand. Most of the surface rust is knocked off and I'll have another night of grinding and sanding. Once I have that done, I'm going to clean up the grooves between the two steel tubes with acetone and then use BONDO between the cracks. I'll just pack it in there with a spackling knife, sand it down, and then do a whole stand wash down with acetone before doing the Herculiner.

This will make for a nice clean finish to the stand and will ensure moisture does not make it between the pieces. Now someone out there is sure to poke a hole in my theory, right?

20120822_190159.jpg

bondo will work great. the only problem is bondo can absorb water and expand. if you properly seal this with your rubberized bed liner you will eliminate this problem.

Exactly what I'm hoping for. I've got enough Herculiner to do about two coats so that should prevent any moisture I hope!

Did you ever consider plastidip? I know many who've used it on their car wheels with great success, even one who coats his chrome wheels for use in winter then removes when weather permits. Completely clean and corrosion free. Now wethet a decade of salt water drips and splashes is too much for the product I couldn't say. From my understanding as long as you don't compromise the layer it should last a very long time, much like bed liner does.

Seems like you've got a lot of work yet. When the time comes ill lend a hand as long as I'm free that day. Good luck with the rest of the build

I had that recommendation but a lot of others have used the bedliners with great success. Seems the key to all of them is focusing on the surface preparation. I've done a few hours of sanding in preparation and trying to track down some ospho to seal off and kill any of the remaining surface rust I might have.

Menards carries wood bleach.

Got the wood bleach at Sherwin Williams yesterday but not sure how big of an impact it had on the stand. I at least got the whole stand grinded down even more and wiped down with acetone today so I could bondo the "gaps'. Just waiting on the the Herculiner to come in so I can do it!

Finally got the Herculiner in yesterday so did some last minute sanding last night, wiped down with oxalic acid, roughed up with orbital sander 40 grit sandpaper, wiped down with acetone twice, and one coat of Herculiner on! I ordered two kits and think I went through about half a gallon. I may go ahead and do three coats in the next 24 hours:)

Anyways, here's some pics of it I snapped with the phone....Ones I took with good camera were foggy as my lens fogged up as soon as I walked out due to how humid it is today!

Front Side:

20120901_180938.jpg

Back Side:

20120901_181104.jpg