Drilling for an overflow

stewart1019

Is it very difficult to drill for a corner overflow? I'm thinking of getting a 55 and doing it myself. I've got some experience working with glass, just never drilled an aquarium before. When doing it, it would be best to drill out the back glass because the bottom is tempered, correct? Also, what size fitting do you think is sufficient for a 55 gal? Sorry, first time doing this myself, but thought it would be a fun experience.

You'll want to check with the tank manufacturer to see which panels on your size tank are tempered. You are correct, tempered glass cannot be drilled.

You will want a diamond toothed hole saw for cutting your hole. I suggest looking at Glass Holes. Do a google seach on their name to find the right site. They sell the hole saws as well as full DIY overflow kits.

The size of hole really depends on how much water you want to move through your overflow/sump per hour. For a 55g, I think a 1" or 1.5" bulkhead would be sufficient. Note that your bulkhead size does not equal the size of the hole you cut out. The glass holes website should give you some good info on what size hole say you need for what size bulkhead.

Also be careful not to get to close to the edge and remember to go very slow. Dont force the drill. In my experience it is the end just before you break through that you have to be careful with and keep the drill as even as possible. Dont forget your plumber putty to hold water on your cut....Good Luck!

I drilled my 75 gallon and have a drill bit for a 1" bulkhead. I think it is for a 1" bulkhead. Noodlenugs has the bit to drill his 75. I got a real nice overflow box at the frag swap last year. It really workked out good. You are welcome to use the drill bit if you want to. It only has one hole on it. Maybe 2 if noodlenugs drilled his tank already. Take care, Mike

ps I just saw you are in Noblesville, We are over on the west side by Avon. Might be a bit of a drive for you.