Chalices

pwoller

I think the chalice craze is starting to slow down. I have had a couple nice Emerald Mummy Eyes on Reef2reef and RC and I'm getting no intrest. For some reaon everyone wants the flame thrower. I wonder why???? Is it going back to zoas or acans?

I think the chalice craze is starting to slow down. I have had a couple nice Emerald Mummy Eyes on Reef2reef and RC and I'm getting no intrest. For some reaon everyone wants the flame thrower. I wonder why???? Is it going back to zoas or acans?

Well I am going to buying zoas soon but I like cheap pretty one's haha so that's one customer!

For some reaon everyone wants the flame thrower. I wonder why????

:lol::lol:

Looks like all you have to do is find some obscure color morph, give it a cool name, sell frags for a boat load of $$, get an article published about you and your new chalice, and then you'll be all set.

:lol:

It's a non-stop cycle of what's been hot for the last 7-8yrs......

It started with sps, and that ran the longest. It then shifted towards ricordea, both yuma and florida. After that slowed down zooanthids picked up and was the hot topic that started the naming of corals. I know there were some names before that, the "Bali Slimer" and "Purple Monster" being one of the names I can remember all the way back to '97 or '98. However, zoos really started the naming of corals, but that's for a whole different subject matter.

After zoos had been running for a while a thread poppped up on RC of a guy in Japan who had a 40gal tank full of these brightly colored Favia / Blastomussa looking corals, that seemed to be about every color of the rainbow. Come to find out, he had a tank full of Acanthastrea lordhowensis. This single thread started a coral craze and price increase in corals / fragging that really did a lot of bad in this hobby in my opinion. Colonies were selling on ebay for $800 - $2000, and single polyps were going for $50 - $200. The Acan craze had begun, and started a whole new price point for coral frags and colonies in our industry. During the entire Acanthastrea craze there spin offs of corals that got hot, such as Micromussa's, different species of Acanthastrea, etc.. however the A. lordhowensis was the one that was most popular for the longest time during the Acan craze.

Acans ran the longest of any hot coral to date, other than sps, but the "craze" itself was actually different. The chalice corals actually became a really hot item back in '04 or so, when a guy on RC by the name of Beeper_Orchids (Gerry), as well as va_reefman (John Nguyen), and a few others started heavily collecting these. However, there were only a select few at this time looking for them. Once Acans started to die off the chalice corals went crazy, and have fed off of the market pricing that Acans started, and pushing it to a higher level than any coral before.

It's hard to say what will be next in my opinion. I could see a lot of people going back to zoos and sps, but who knows.

Anyways, that's my two cents worth!

I have not heard that, however there are a lot of variables that fall into this.

Euphyllia ancora (Hammer coral) CITES Quota

Indonesia:

2000 - 36,000 pcs

2001 - 40,000 pcs

2002 - 25,000 pcs

2003 - 27,550 pcs

2004 - 27,550 pcs

2005 - 24,000 pcs

2006 - 27,550 pcs

2007 - 27,550 pcs

2008 - 28,880 pcs

2009 - 32,000 pcs

Now, this is just one species, from one country. There are multiple countries that export Euphyllia ancora, some may have increased quota numbers, while others have decreased. To say that Wellsophyllia and Hammer corals are going to become hard to get is way too generalized of a statement, and doesn't make any sense. Now, to say that Wellsophyllia and Euphyllia ancora from Fiji for example is going to become hard to get, could be a true statement, as that country could have specifically greatly limited the quota number for a particular year.

BTW, Indonesia is the largest exporting country of coral in the world, so the example numbers above may seem really high to some. Fiji for example has a quote on the same exact species of coral in the 200pc - 400pc per year.

Also, I forgot to note that Wellsophyllia is not a recognized genus of coral anymore, it has been reclassified by CITES back under Trachyphyllia. In addition to this what we used to call Scolymia deshayesiana (the big puffy meat corals) are no longer classified as Scolymia genus, but rather Acanthophyllia now.

Jeremy,

Out of curiosity, what is classified as a piece?

From your example above with the Hammer corals, would a piece be a single head? Just wondering, as the term "piece" could represent a broad size range of specimans actually collected.

A single piece is classified as one solid skeletal structure. For example, if you ship in a branching hammer coral that has a "Y" shaped skeletal structure, with two heads off each tip of the "Y", that is still one piece. Now, you could take this piece and break it in half, and bag it separately, and it's now 2 pieces. If the piece breaks while bagged up, and the bag is opened and inspected, and it's obvious breakage of one single piece, it's still classified as one piece.

:lol::lol:

Looks like all you have to do is find some obscure color morph, give it a cool name, sell frags for a boat load of $$, get an article published about you and your new chalice, and then you'll be all set.

:lol:

:huh:

I have not heard that, however there are a lot of variables that fall into this.

Euphyllia ancora (Hammer coral) CITES Quota

Indonesia:

2000 - 36,000 pcs

2001 - 40,000 pcs

2002 - 25,000 pcs

2003 - 27,550 pcs

2004 - 27,550 pcs

2005 - 24,000 pcs

2006 - 27,550 pcs

2007 - 27,550 pcs

2008 - 28,880 pcs

2009 - 32,000 pcs

Now, this is just one species, from one country. There are multiple countries that export Euphyllia ancora, some may have increased quota numbers, while others have decreased. To say that Wellsophyllia and Hammer corals are going to become hard to get is way too generalized of a statement, and doesn't make any sense. Now, to say that Wellsophyllia and Euphyllia ancora from Fiji for example is going to become hard to get, could be a true statement, as that country could have specifically greatly limited the quota number for a particular year.

BTW, Indonesia is the largest exporting country of coral in the world, so the example numbers above may seem really high to some. Fiji for example has a quote on the same exact species of coral in the 200pc - 400pc per year.

Thanks for the information. As always, there is a lot of questionable information floating around. I was just curious about what I was told.

QUOTE (SJGreene @ Oct 28 2009, 09:39 AM)

:huh:

That sounded a bit harsh to me too? I might be reading a bit too deep into it though. I dont think anyone in the article ever named a chalice. BPC named it

QUOTE (SJGreene @ Oct 28 2009, 09:39 AM)

That sounded a bit harsh to me too? I might be reading a bit too deep into it though. I dont think anyone in the article ever named a chalice. BPC named it

Ah, the beauty of typed text.

It was meant to be a joke, not a jab a Katrina. Apparently those little "lol" faces don't do a very good job.

You specifically pointed out her Flame Thrower chalice, so in an attempt at humor I made my above post. My post was intended to mock the process at which the FT followed in its rise to popularity. Not to take a knock at Katrina. You said yourself that nobody seems to what the chalice frags you have posted for sale on those other forums. The article on the FT shows how a fancy name on a new coral or color morph seem to make people be willing to pay outragous amounts for a frag or per head/mouth.

Ah, the beauty of typed text.

It was meant to be a joke, not a jab a Katrina. Apparently those little "lol" faces don't do a very good job.

You specifically pointed out her Flame Thrower chalice, so in an attempt at humor I made my above post. My post was intended to mock the process at which the FT followed in its rise to popularity. Not to take a knock at Katrina. You said yourself that nobody seems to what the chalice frags you have posted for sale on those other forums. The article on the FT shows how a fancy name on a new coral or color morph seem to make people be willing to pay outragous amounts for a frag or per head/mouth.

I wasn't offended and didn't think you were taking a jab at me Scott.

Perhaps I should be flagged for a flagrant misuse of a smilie :lol: (it's obviously football season)

I've had people comment on how big some of the frags I send them are. I always try and give them a fair peice but it makes me wonder if you need a microscope to look at their tanks.

SJGreene- Thanks for the clarification on your post. :huh:;):lol::rolleyes:^_^:mellow::)