Stand for new Nano-Cube

Since my wife won the 24g nano-cube yesterday she wanted me to make a stand for it (too deep to fit on any furniture). So here is what I got done today. It is made of various scrap wood I had laying around because she just wants it painted black. I just need to do some final sanding and make one raised panel door for it and it will be ready for painting.

Anyway, here it is:

normal_stand-in-progress.JPG

Will hopefully finish it up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hey Russ,Did your wife threaten to starve you until the tank stand was done, because you must have pulled a allniter to get your stand this far so fast. Heck, I would have still been drawing up the plans hehe.Well looks nice so far.

well, she did threaten to starve me, but I didn't have to pull an all nighter. I even took the time to go to church and go out for a nice slow dinner with friends. It took about twice as long as it usually would have because I had no plans drawn up ahead of time (and I had trouble getting Kristen to make decisions on what she wanted). Hopefully it will look a lot better once painted (looks kind of stupid with all the different woods).

Chuck... how did I know you would make some comment about that! Seriously, I have the structural part of the big stand done and the tank sitting on it. Just needs the plumbing done (which requires moving the 400lbs or rock out of the sump) and the cabinetry made.

Well, it is pretty much done now. Just need another coat of black paint and it will be ready to go. I spent forever trying to get the top sanded just perfect so the tank didn't have any gaps under it. There is still a tiny bit of a gap in the front corner (just enough to see light through). I decided I would just shim the bottom of that corner with some electrical tape or something (since you won't be able to see it).

She doesn't seem to like zoanthids much... I thought it might look cool to let the entire thing get covered under with gsp, xenia, or something like that.

Anyway, hopefully this weekend I will have a chance to finish up the door for the stand. I am kind of swamped with other projects so it will have to wait until then. Thanks again for all the compliments, as for quiting my day job... not unless someone wants to give me an equivalent paycheck. However we are trying to save for an adoption, so I might be convinced to take on a few small jobs.

Here is a mediocre hood I made for one tank. It was supposed to go in Kristens classroom so I didn't do anything fancy, but she decided she wanted it at home.

It hadn't been stained when I took the picture, but gives you an idea of what it looks like.

normal_hood-unfinished.jpg