New Beginnings

Hey Doug!

Long time no see. Glad to see that you are back with a nice setup. What led to the change? What is the plan for the restart?

Hey Doug!

Long time no see. Glad to see that you are back with a nice setup. What led to the change? What is the plan for the restart?

Well.... I had been fighting an algae problem for many many months that I believe related to the rock and lighting. I had the 150 that was cracked on seam and had purchased this AGE 180 some time ago. That is a another story in itself. :). I finally had the time and funds to start over from scratch with all new rock and back to the "old school" lighting that I know works. I just set it up this weekend so it will be awhile before anything goes in. I have all of my fish and what was left of my coral in 100 gallon stock tank waiting to be reintroduced.

Some resemblence here to Keith's tank when he first started.....

tankapril1607.jpg

And what it turned into before he tore it down about a year ago...

mijan242009ab.jpg

Glad to see you're back into it and getting ready to rock again. Haven't talked to you in a while and had heard you were having algae issues that you thought was related to the lights. Looks like you've got a great start, can't wait to see it get going. Make sure you keep this thread updated with pics as you go! :D

No, it's Keith Berkelhamer's tank (ReefBum on RC), lives in Connecticut. He's actually had two TOTM's on RC, his first one was around 2003 if I remember correctly, standard 120g. This was his improved 220g, that I find is strikingly similar to Doug's re-start on his 180g. I love Doug's aquascape and think it has a ton of potential, can't wait to see it take off!

No, it's Keith Berkelhamer's tank (ReefBum on RC), lives in Connecticut. He's actually had two TOTM's on RC, his first one was around 2003 if I remember correctly, standard 120g. This was his improved 220g, that I find is strikingly similar to Doug's re-start on his 180g. I love Doug's aquascape and think it has a ton of potential, can't wait to see it take off!

Gotcha. I thought I had seen that before.

Some resemblence here to Keith's tank when he first started.....

tankapril1607.jpg

And what it turned into before he tore it down about a year ago...

mijan242009ab.jpg

Glad to see you're back into it and getting ready to rock again. Haven't talked to you in a while and had heard you were having algae issues that you thought was related to the lights. Looks like you've got a great start, can't wait to see it get going. Make sure you keep this thread updated with pics as you go! :D

Thanks. Yea I think it was time for a fresh start. I can't say for certain the light was my algae problem. It was probably more the operator as I think a lot of it had to do with the so many different settings with the LED's and I found myself continually changing and tweaking. That's why I like the halides. Put a bulb in and turn it on. Anyway it is fun to start over with a clean slate.

• 3 months later...