Sump Design Help Dwgs Attached

Guff

I change mine out every two days whether they look dirty or not. I have never seen anything come out of them but I am only running about 900gph. Not to say some really small particles are not getting back in the water but hopefully between the skimmer carbon and filter floss before the return , it gets caught again

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id say that would be the best bet. though, may make noise. i know the one i saw at uncle bills in greenwood was setup this way. water went into the sump, over a baffle into a tray that had 4-6 socks, with a failsafe (bypass pretty much) if the socks got full, the water would fill the tray and spill over another mini 1" baffle. looked like a good setup, but it was noisy. you may be able to fix this with a diverter or something? that diverts the large 24" wide flow into 2-3 narrow chutes that direct it into the socks

Hmm, good thoughts, hopefully I will get some time to play around with sketchup. My initial thought would be to have like a 10" tray that is submerged like 1-2" below the current skimmer section water level and have a weir come up ~2" above the water level to act as a weir and emergency overflow. Hopefully with everything submerged by 2-3" I won't get any noise there it's any flowing up and over anything....if that makes any sense at all.

I got my filter socks from McMaster Carr today, 7"x16" looking in sketchup I really can't make anything work with a shelf that would allow for the return lines to be submerged without have a pocket on one end of hte shelf that would allow the return lines to come in lower and then the flow would have to come back up and onto the shelf and through if that makes sense. I socks that I got are really nice and sturdy with built in handle tabs, right now I'm just thinking of hanging from the eurobracing at the top of the tank or possibly creating a holder built into the top of the tank to hang them from. This will allow the socks to hang freely without touching the bottom of the tank.

Here's a second. Design would help to save space by having a cylinder where overflow pipe is submerged into to reduce noise. So you'd just cut hole and then put a cylinder on bottom and glued if that makes sense?

Design 2 (More compact design) Flaw is cleaning out cylinder but if flows high enough should get away with rare cleanings.:

GuffSumpDesign2_zpse48d6281.jpg

dang dude you put that together quick. I'll have to look, that would be ideal if I have enough space to make it work. I bought 7" socks so that works against me, might have to return the socks and see if I can get the same kind in a 4" version to save some space.

Kind of digging the second design if I could find a cylinder to use, does PVC pipe "glue" to acrylic? Guess I could always build a box too. Also in that 2nd design the wall that holds the shelf would have to be off the bottom glass to allow flow under into next section correct?

No I really appreciate it, all good stuff. I just couldn't figure out how to make it work, I kind of jumped the gun on the socks but read a really good thread and they were talking about how nice these socks are and they are really nice. But they are 7"x16" so no matter what I do they will be a bit long I think since the skimmer section is currently set at 12.5" in height. How far can water fall before it starts becoming noisy. i.e. if the incoming shelf you indicate is at 16" and the adjacent section is set at 12.5" will I have a water fall sound with water falling through sock at a height of 3". If that makes any sense at all.

Yeah, dripping the LaCl in the center tube would really isolate all the precipitation either in the tube or be picked up by the socks. I think I'll have enough room under the stand to possibly increase the height of hte skimmer section and still have enough space to raise the skimmer up on a shelf to achieve it's ideal water level for skimming. Thanks Dustin I think you may have just finalized my sump design, now I can get my cut list together and go figure out the best buys off popdisplays and order my acrylic tube too.

I bet you can find somewhere that sells acrylic tubing by foot...Seems that PVC will glue to acrylic too! Only downside to PVC is you won't be able to see in cylinder to clean it out.

http://stores.ebay.com/affordableplastic/Acrylic-Tubing-/_i.html?_fsub=4802321&_sid=27370525&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Yeah, looks like there might be a couple of sources on ebay that ive sent emails to asking if I can get one in ~16" lengths. The one was a 6" diameter, 12" long, and 5/32" thick; kind of thin but it is a cylinder and will be completely pressure free and equalized after the first fill. Nice bead of weldon 16 should solve that pretty quickly I would think.

K, got it redrawn and looks pretty good. I have a couple different angles below. There is also one with a rough sketch of the stand I don't really know how it will be configured yet so I just put something in there to get an idea. Also found one of the vendorrs on ebay that will sell me a 15" of 6" clear acrylic for $20 plus $15 shippping so that's not so bad. Let me know your thoughts.

post-6845-0-88534100-1358620804_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-95007000-1358620812_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-20398500-1358620823_thumb.jpg

post-6845-0-88690000-1358621109_thumb.jpg

Guff, looking great.

Instead of that block you could replace it with a real 3D skimmer if you check out the google 3d warehouse:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=skimmer&styp=m&scoring=t&btnG=Search

You can find trims, valves, etc on there that I'd never try to feat.

Im too lazy to read through all the posts so if what I say is repeats ignore me.

Suggestion #1 Make your return area in your sump as big as possible.

Suggestion #2 You don't need 3 plates on a bubble trap. the first plate sets the height of the chamber and the second plate forces the water down and the air up, that's all that's need. It won't give you much more room but and inch or two is worth a lot

Opinion #1 I have owned both the AOSmith and Baldor Dart pumps. The Blador is by far the better of the two over time

Hey thanks for the opinion I like the idea of removing the last bubble trap, as you mentioned it would gain an extra 2.5" at least. I already have the dart gold return pump in house ready to go with the Baldor motor, so i'm good to go there.

Got the acrylic ordered yesterday Gene at popdisplays is going to do the cut outs for the filter sock tray, so I don't have to worry about messing that piece up. Should have pieces by end of next week probably. Just waiting on the fab for that one piece which is a 1 week lead time. Otherwise they would have shipped everything out today.