New to Site/Marine Aquariums

MBrown

If your reading this, and your the guy that told me about this site while in Avon's Pet Safari on Sunday...THanks.

I've been doing freshwater tanks for years then gave it up. My dad bought a 90 Gallon tank and I set it up for him for freshwater, but he simply can't keep up with it and decided to give it to me....however the fact that he was putting new carpet down in his house meant the tank had to move anyway.

I'm new to all this and it's with the help of people like you and sites like this that I've been gathering a lot of good information to get me started....and here's where I'm at so far:

90 Gallon Tank

Pro Clear Aquatic 150 wet/dry

Several powerheads

700 GPH Sump

I haven't even put water in it yet, as I'm shopping for a RODI system. Still reading ...and reading...and even more reading. hope to have water in it by Thanksgiving.

gallery_6_1_114388.jpg

LOL....hopefully will save lotsa cash. Put a pretty large dent on the wallet already.

Everywhere I go and keep seeing that EVERYONE does a reef tank with corals to some extent. I've read numerous times that a reef tank, while enjoyable, can be more for a seasoned hobbiest rather then someone starting out.

I only plan to have live rock and sand with NO corals. I woulds like to do anenomes though. Besides....I think I will eventually do corals...just want to ease into the routine.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Generally speaking, a reef tank is no more difficult than a fish only. Now a reef tank is usually a lot more expensive... depending on what you want to put in it. There are a lot of soft coral and LPS that are extremely easy to keep and don't run you a lot of dollars. There is a large group of hobbyists here in town with frags to be had for next to nothing. I'll even hook you up with a freebie or two at the shop (shameless plug)!

If you decide you do want to keep anemones, you need to know their light requirements as most need a good deal of watts/gallon.

Good luck!

James

Before I start fragging, RO/DI and Lighting are my next topics to tackle and purchase. Bee reading a lot in the forums here and there and learning good info. Didn't want to re ask questions when you can find great answers in previous posts. Search function helps a lot.

I'll definitely stop in soon.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the updated pics of my progress......really need to add one of them dark blue backgrounds.

med_gallery_6_1_351907.jpg

The pumps are as follows:

(2) Maxi-jet 1200 Pumps with mod kits (1600 GPH each)

(1) AquaClear 70 PowerHead (400GPH)

(1) PondMaster Sump Pump (700GPH)

Will these be effective as a whole, or should I add more Maxi-Jets?

I'll soon have a CurrentUSA 216W Total T-5 installed

1140074712.jpg

Slow but steady progress...and thanks James, Scott and everyone for all the valuable advice.

Cheers~

Mike

Here's the updated pics of my progress......really need to add one of them dark blue backgrounds.

mask of the front, sides and trim. Then shoot the back (outside) with some Marine Blue (or any other color you wish) Krylon Fusion spray paint. About two or three coats and you'll be set.

It looks great, and is fairly easy to remove later should you no longer desire it. A razor blade will strip it right off in a matter of minutes.

Spend an extra $2.00 and get one of those plastic sprayer thingies. It basically clamps onto the can and gives you a trigger mechanism to use. Save your finger tips!

Sounds like an excellent tip.....so off to the store I go to get some paint.

Will running the tank bare bottom for a little bit, to get the dust outta the tank and plumbing really be effective?

Mike

Tank is up and running as of tonite. Filled with RO water and testing everything. pulled the plug to simulate power outage, overflow and everything is more then supportive. Does anyone run a computer APC battery back up in case of power outage...just wondered if that was useful or if others have better means.

Hope to start cycling the tank this weekend or sooner. Thanks for all your help.

Mike