My 58 Soft/LPS System

Here is a pic of my 58gal Oceanic Soft/LPS system.

Tank013.jpg

This is my first "non sps" system that I have done since I started my very first salt tank, so this has been a relaxing adventure to say the least. The tank is lit by a 250W Giesemann NOVA II pendant w/14k Aquaconnect lamp. For flow there is a PanWorld 40PX pump return through a "Y" locline fitting, and then two MJ1200's being pulsed back and forth by a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper. The sump is roughly 20 gals and houses a sponge filter (first time I have ever used mechanical filtration on a personal tank) EuroReef ES5-2 skimmer, heater, and some misc rubble rock.

I set the system up in late September and early October, and just added my first two fish (chevron tang and solarensis wrasse) this last week of March.

The only maintenance being done on the system is very infrequent water changes (will start biweekly 10% with fish in the tank and feeding now), 1/3 - 1/2oz of DT's every other night (I feed this VERY heavily), and daily adding a two part solution. This has been the most trouble and maintenance free system I have ever had so far, and has been something I actually enjoy and spend time watching, rather than working on.

Very nice. It the aquaconnect bulb that blue/white or have you adjusted white balance on the camera? I have 2 hamilton 10k SE bulbs I am not happy at all with. Too yellow for me.

Nice stand for the pendant too. I bet it is 3/4 EMT with a little bending?

That is dead on for the coloration of the Aquaconnect. Very true to that color.

You got it on the pipe, but I believe it is 1/2" rather than 3/4". I thought about painting it or something, but most the decor in my home is very modern with a lot of stainless steel, etc....so it fits in really well the way it is.

you can start with my tank chuck. I would like to do something like jeremy has done but lack the technical knowledge or creativity to do so. I would prefer to have mine powder coated pink. Seriously though that is pretty sharp and would strongly think about doing that on my tank.

ed

stand is 36 inches tall...tank is 20 inches tall and the tank is 72 inches long.....

56 inches + an extra 18 inches to hang the ligthing from X2 148 inches

12 inches to move the light to the center of the tank x2 24 inches

72 inches to run along the tank 72 inches

so i need a total of 21 feet of tubing.......now i just need a fabricator....any companies out there? How did the tubing attatch to the tank? And a pulley sytem would be nice to lift the lights up a little.

hmmm....maybe i should just buy a 89 dollar stand for the lights

ed

I was quoted by a fabrication company $229 for pretty much the same thing I built. They were going to use 1/2" square aluminum tube and have it powder coated. I have $17 and some change into mine.

I used "u" clips on the back side of the stand to mount it up against he back and hold it tight. It can still turn inward and outward, but it is tight enough to where it doesn't cause any problems at all.

It is actually a great idea. The whole building and selling thing was only a halfway joke. There are many mounting options for EMT and they are all available through the local hardware. Bending is done with a cheap EMT bender (which I have been meaning to buy anyways) also available at the hardware. Ed, I think a little imagination and work would get you a nice setup (in galvanized only!) for very little cash.

Here is the actual Giesemann bracket that gave me the idea for this. When I did this back in the fall there were no large Giesemann shipments coming to North America, so shipping for this bracket would have been around $150 plus $100 for the bracket itself.

bak7_g.jpg

Now there are 4 of us in the US who are actual distributors of Giesemann rather than just resellers we bring in pallets of the product and can have them ordered without the high shipping cost. However, what you could DIY would be pretty much the same at a very small fraction of the cost.

i'll give it a shot. I have seen a couple of episodes of monster garage and am ready to fabricate this thing jesse james style. Only real question would be should make it go the length of my tank and down (complete /``) or just end it towards the middle of my tank

LOL....it's just a thread.....don't worry I won't fly off the deep end like I did back in December on here! :wink:

I know, I can't believe I actually have a softy / lps tank again, never thought that day would come! It is great though not ot have to worry about water parameters constantly and test the good ole cal/alk/mag every two days.

Update.......

Had a rock slide tonight, pretty bad. Looks like it is time to reaquascape completely, and possibly take all the rock out and go with all Tonga Branch and maybe a little Marshall. I will update with pics once I am done reaquascaping.

Jeremy,

Looks really sweet! As far a DIY on the light hanger... you could just use galvanized electrical conduit which can be bent in any sort or angles with a cheapo pipe bender getting nice 45 and 90 degree bends for super cheap!

I really like the setup!!! NICE :)

Garrett