Interested in Human rights? We need voters' help!

ecook

First there were women's rights....then there were rights for the racial minorities.

In 1990, legislation was passed to give equal rights and protection for those with disabilities.

I, a young disabled woman of only 20 years of age, fight daily for my rights. I wasn't always disabled, until I lost a significant portion of my eyesight in a work related accident in fall 2002. In Jan 2003 as I finally adjusted to my new challenges, I came down with an usual form of epilepsy which leaves me permanently disabled.

Soon, our goal is in the next two weeks, packets will be available including my story as a disabled person. The problem is the ADA gives guidelines of protection, but has no mention of the consequences for the destruction of the rights of the disabled. It is time to amend the ADA. Packets include my story, and the struggles that led to my lawsuit against Purdue University which still remains unsettled. Also included is my best friend's account of my struggles from the outside.

We would love to have YOUR story included in this packet if you are a disabled person.

Once the packets are assembled, the only thing we ask is that senators get letters from every state in the union, from their own voters. It will be simple to do....simply send this packet along with a letter from you, a concerned voter, and ask them to support amendment(s) to the ADA.

In 1990, someone fought for my rights so that I would never have to go through the struggles that I have gone through. Now, I want to continue this fight to make sure the people after me never have to go through the pain and agony of being denied access to universities specifically, but also to the work place and other situations where we are often discriminated against because we wear a label that says we are "handicapped."

My best friend tells me every day that I am "handicapable," but when will the law finish where it started 13 years ago? I was told to leave university because of my disability, despite being a model student other than the fact that I was very ill and at times could not walk, talk, feed myself or take myself to the bathroom. Being episodic, there was no reason I could not suceed.

Please, help us fight this fight. If you are willing to help please email your mailing address along with your name to [email protected] so that you can receive a packet as soon as they are available. If you are interested in sharing your story in that packet, please include your phone number so that we can discuss how you can be included.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Emily.