Installing external return pump

I decided to switch over from an internal pump to a Iwaki MD55RLT.

My sump has been predrilled with a 1 inch bulkhead that I glued a cap in so I could use the sump with internal pump.

Was going to use schedule 40 pipe & fittings as that was what I been using with my internal pump. (That OK is it not?)

Question 1) Was looking on PA site and wondering if I should just get just a 1" bulkhead or get the kit with the strainer.

My internal pump does not have a strainer so is there a need to use one on an external pump?(Kits only $0.20 more so I'll get but should I use it?)

Question 2) Was going to put a ball valve in front of pump and was wondering if the DURA 1" True Union Ball Valve sold at PA were good to use?

Question 3) What's the name of the part that screws onto the pump inlet and outlet called? Pump description states it's a 1" MPT inlet and outlet

Thanks for any help as this is first time at plumbing pump outside of sump

I decided to switch over from an internal pump to a Iwaki MD55RLT.

My sump has been predrilled with a 1 inch bulkhead that I glued a cap in so I could use the sump with internal pump.

Was going to use schedule 40 pipe & fittings as that was what I been using with my internal pump. (That OK is it not?)

Question 1) Was looking on PA site and wondering if I should just get just a 1" bulkhead or get the kit with the strainer.

My internal pump does not have a strainer so is there a need to use one on an external pump?(Kits only $0.20 more so I'll get but should I use it?)

Question 2) Was going to put a ball valve in front of pump and was wondering if the DURA 1" True Union Ball Valve sold at PA were good to use?

Question 3) What's the name of the part that screws onto the pump inlet and outlet called? Pump description states it's a 1" MPT inlet and outlet

Thanks for any help as this is first time at plumbing pump outside of sump

1. Sch 40 is fine. If you think the pump might suck something in to it get a strainer

2. I have no experience with them

3. Male adapter?

Agreed with Scott. On #2 they are good valves. I'd get a true union before and after pump so you can easily flip flow off and unscrew pump for maintenance. For the inlet, you're not going to want to control flow that way as it would burn the pump up over time. Always use valve for flow after pump so the back pressure is there. GL and HTH!

I am cheap. Kinda like you gluing a cap into a slip, I used a threaded bulk head and bought a 1" plug and just one true union. When I want to take pump off for cleaning all I have to do is screw the 1" plug into the bulkhead on the water/sump side and then unscrew the union after the pump. Works like a charm and the plug was only $.70. Also works if you want to go back to an internal pump, teflon tape the plug and screw into the bulkhead on water side and your good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Agreed with Scott. On #2 they are good valves. I'd get a true union before and after pump so you can easily flip flow off and unscrew pump for maintenance. For the inlet, you're not going to want to control flow that way as it would burn the pump up over time. Always use valve for flow after pump so the back pressure is there. GL and HTH!

Was not thinking of it to use valve for flow control(was just going to run pump full open).Was mainly thinking I could shut valve off for maintenance and not drain sump. Did not figure I needed one on outlet side as water drains down below inlets in display tank when pump is off(Guess to would save the water in the line from draining back)

THANKS for the help.