RO problems

Today I replaced all filters on my Typhoon III Extreme 150(from Air, Water,& Ice)

My setup starts with a 5 Micron In line sediment filter going to booster pump (set at 65psi)

Them to the RO/DI unit that has a 1 micron sediment filter(from BFS)in first cartridge.

Next to a catalytic GAC(BFS-183 Catalytic GAC from BFS)in refillable cartridge.

3rd filter is a 0.5micron carbon block(from BFS)

and then up to a 100 GPD Permeate Flow membrane( from PA(was going to get SpectraSelect TFC 90gpd but they were out of them)) with a inline Flow Restrictor for 100 GPD RO(from PA).

Then out to last chamber that has regular DI resin(from PA)in refillable cartridge.

I first flushed the catalytic GAC for about 5-8 minutes(put 1 micron sediment filter in and catalytic GAC cartridge on and flush out where 3 cartridge should have been.

Then I put on the 0.5micron carbon block, membrane, and DI resin cartridges.

I flushed the RO unit for about 30-40 minutes and them measured the TDS that was 32ppm coming out of just RO unit.

My tap was going in was 416ppm.

Should I flush it longer to try to get a lower reading?

I read that I should be getting a reading in single digits.

Have not even started working with the DI side yet till I get a lower RO reading.

I used the meter on the unit as well as a handheld one and was getting same reading on both.

Could it be a bad membrane or the flow restrictor(has arrow on it pointing to flow so it's facing right way)

If im not mistaken the 100gpd membranes are known to have a lower than average rejection...like around 90% I think. I don't know if its localized to a specific manufacturer or what, I just remember reading it somewhere.

If that's the case, they are usually rated at 50psi, so take into account your higher pressure that'd probably net you a little efficiency and would be almost spot on with the numbers you gave.

Edit...found that on air water ice. Near the bottom of the page http://www.airwaterice.com/c=Wofmqj9aaE3Wk8I9gtRwLRLGv/category/z.3/

The membrane stated "Average NaCl Rejection: 98%" http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/H2O-BW-PA-2012-100.html%20)]http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/H2O-BW-PA-2012-100.html

and the Permeate Flow @ 60 PSI: 100 GPD.

The membrane PA sold me is an ULTRATEK brand. Went to ULTRATEK webpage(had to use google translater...not a good sign)and it stated a "Stable Rejection Rate 95% with a Minimum Rejection Rate 93.0%. Mine coming out around 92% brand new.

Ran around 4-6 gallons thur it so far(ran for about 1 1/2 hours)and still getting high readings.

Do you think turning up the water pressure would help any?

Or should I just return the membrane and get a different one.

EDIT:

I pulled the membrane out and its not the one displayed on PA website it was a DOW Filmtec tw30-1812-100 that they sold me.

You were right Reefer82, It was rated at Rejection Rate 90.0% which is close to what I'm getting. Going to take it back.

That's what I figured. Hold out and get the spectraselect. Literally everyone I've seen post about them, including Dustin have nothing but great things to say. You can always order direct from Spectrapure, they were also on sale last time I checked for $40 or $45. Makes up for shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds much better. Good you're back in business.

I may go pick up one of those today. Got rained out of work and nothing to do now.

And I did. It was time to replace most of the filters so I figured why not go ahead and make the switch now. I am about to make 150-200 gallons so the more efficient I can make the DI the better.

Guest Willy

Today I replaced all filters on my Typhoon III Extreme 150(from Air, Water,& Ice)

My setup starts with a 5 Micron In line sediment filter going to booster pump (set at 65psi)

Them to the RO/DI unit that has a 1 micron sediment filter(from BFS)in first cartridge.

Next to a catalytic GAC(BFS-183 Catalytic GAC from BFS)in refillable cartridge.

3rd filter is a 0.5micron carbon block(from BFS)

and then up to a 100 GPD Permeate Flow membrane( from PA(was going to get SpectraSelect TFC 90gpd but they were out of them)) with a inline Flow Restrictor for 100 GPD RO(from PA).

Then out to last chamber that has regular DI resin(from PA)in refillable cartridge.

I first flushed the catalytic GAC for about 5-8 minutes(put 1 micron sediment filter in and catalytic GAC cartridge on and flush out where 3 cartridge should have been.

Then I put on the 0.5micron carbon block, membrane, and DI resin cartridges.

I flushed the RO unit for about 30-40 minutes and them measured the TDS that was 32ppm coming out of just RO unit.

My tap was going in was 416ppm.

Should I flush it longer to try to get a lower reading?

I read that I should be getting a reading in single digits.

Have not even started working with the DI side yet till I get a lower RO reading.

I used the meter on the unit as well as a handheld one and was getting same reading on both.

Could it be a bad membrane or the flow restrictor(has arrow on it pointing to flow so it's facing right way)

Why is your booster pump set at just 65psi?

Why is your booster pump set at just 65psi?

On the SpectraSelect TFC 90gpd Membrane page it said "Membranes produce rated GPD ± 10% at 60 psi." and the original Air,water,& ice membrane it stated " produce up 150 gallon per day using 65 psi water pressure" so that's just where I set it.

Should it be higher?

That's pretty good, I can manage a 5gal in just a bit over an hour on a good day. That's a 75gpd membrane running close to 80psi. It runs 1:20-1:30 on on average though. Id put a booster on but I don't know if the extra 20psi would really justify the expense. I could almost buy a second system for the price of some pumps.