jgoldwood's 40 breeder

Hello, all. This is the beginning of my 40 breeder. This is the first tank I've ever done that was not an all-in-one. So far so good, other than waiting on the cycle to happen. Suggestions and comments welcome!

cb0b350a.jpg

d1cfaf2a.jpg

Is that an anemone or coral in the second pic on the sandbed. Either way you should remove the fish and corals until your cycle is complete, or they could become victim of a nutrient spike which is common during a cycle.

Are you still waiting for the cycle or has it finished?

I think I saw a "mini-cycle", but I'm still waiting.

Is that an anemone or coral in the second pic on the sandbed. Either way you should remove the fish and corals until your cycle is complete, or they could become victim of a nutrient spike which is common during a cycle.

Hey, Damon. Those were put in there as soon as the tank was set up, and have since been removed. I had read somewhere about adding fish to create waste in the tank which helped along the cycle. The coral was in there simply to reduce stress for the fish.

Are you using dry rock or was that live rock? I believe live rock is the best filtration any reef tank can have. Depending on your equipment and knowledge I think the whole cycling the tank thing is over rated unless you are new to the hobby. The better the equipment and the use of plenty of live rock and good water movement your good to go. Tank looks good. Is your tank drilled and do you have any other power heads in the tank? Are you running a fuge? What are your future plans on live stock?

Are you using dry rock or was that live rock? I believe live rock is the best filtration any reef tank can have. Depending on your equipment and knowledge I think the whole cycling the tank thing is over rated unless you are new to the hobby. The better the equipment and the use of plenty of live rock and good water movement your good to go. Tank looks good. Is your tank drilled and do you have any other power heads in the tank? Are you running a fuge? What are your future plans on live stock?

That is all base rock in the tank, except for a small piece of live. The tank is drilled, with a 1 1/2" drain and two 3/4" returns. The only flow in the tank right now is from the returns (which is being fed by a Mag 12), and I'm planning on ordering two of the wireless MP10s when and if anything in my classified posting sells. No fuge, just a regular sump, although I'll probably throw a clump of chaeto in there. I actually had a 28G Nano Cube and still have a 20 long, with enough livestock to fill this tank. I'm a fan of zoas and rics, and do not think I'll be able to add anymore fish.

Did you paint the back of the tank? I just finished spray painting the back of my 120g and repainted the stand last night. I cant wait to get my tank back up the stand and tank look brand new again. I want to predrill the back of the glas but I dont know if the glass is tempered and I dont know how to do it. Painting the back of the glass was the best thing I could of done with this setup it looks awesome now.

Welcome to INDMAS!!

Thanks!

Did you paint the back of the tank? I just finished spray painting the back of my 120g and repainted the stand last night. I cant wait to get my tank back up the stand and tank look brand new again. I want to predrill the back of the glas but I dont know if the glass is tempered and I dont know how to do it. Painting the back of the glass was the best thing I could of done with this setup it looks awesome now.

Yeah, I painted the back of the tank. Drilling is surprisingly easy. I too thought it would be a taunting task but it was quick and painless. You can tell if your glass is tempered with a laptop screen. Check out THIS link.

i just sprayed the back of my 120g and it matches my stand. there is a night and day difference in the over all look of the display. ill post some picks when i get all the build pics togeather. im going to build the display and post them all at once. if you can do it do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It may just look funny, but how far down are your return holes drilled? Because in those pics those return locklines are about halfway down the tank, and in a power outage those will become siphons and will drain your tank down till the return nozzle can suck air and stop.

I'm guessing the center of the holes are a few inches from the top of the tank. I used the guide that came with them from Glass-Holes, if you've ever worked with them. I actually had a brief - about an hour - outage a few weeks ago during a storm that blew through and no floods.