Matt_The_Fiddler's controlled 75 BB sps

matt

This thread is going to be the journal/ progress of the new tank that has been in the planning stages for quite some time now...... after a series of upgrades going from my 10 nano way back when through a 25 to the current 55 gallon, I am finally ready to get the "permanent" tank [for now :)] set up.

I don't have the tank yet, but have been busy getting ready for it's pick up at my parents next weekend. The 2nd set of rock is cooking right now, all my stuff has been ordered and is slowly trickling in, and i am building several parts myself.

starting from the base up... Here is the BLACK starboard that is going to be the base of the new tank. I had to choose between reflectivity in white or this. Due to the amoutn of light over the new tank, and some tricks i will be pulling out later, I choose to go black to bring out the existing color by contrast.

RIHS%20005.jpg

That is two 18"x24" sheets, that will need to be cut on the table saw to match the overflow.[/b]

Calcium/ Alkalinity.

I will be using an Aquacontroller II for the brains on this tank. I choose it for many reasons. a couple being it's ability to have remote monitoring over the web [i will be away for several days at a time.. from time to time] as well as it's ability to control my top off via a float switch.

There will be a KNOP Calcium reactor and kalk top off through the Nielson using Pickling Lime..

This is the start of the Neilson Reactor I am currently building. Nice and simple. a maxi jet will be on the inside and controlled by the ACII on once or twice a day for a min. [just enough to stir, not enough to wear the prop down on the maxijet in a month] I chose this method of internal pump / PVC because.

#1 less plumbing [who really needs a perfect round unobstructed area to stir kalk???]

#2 less leaks

#3 I will be monitoring the tank close enough, i will know when the lime is out- no need for me to "see" it and pay an extra $70

#4 It will be hidden under the tank.

I need to place the cords, inlet, and outlet still, but that is an easy matter.

RIHS%20002.jpg

RIHS%20004.jpg

The only part of this design that I don't like is the screw lid... but it was cost effective. I may change it later with an easier to replace and fill lid.

I also may need to shorten the stand pipe that the powerhead is on.. if that puts the mixing too close to the output of the reactor... I am going to be watching the ph VERY carefully to say the least.... possibly even with an extra PH monitor in the reactor untill i learn its quirks

after talking with several people who did the maxijet externally, the main problem was the Impeller going bad and shreding. This was from people who let it run at least 15-30 mins a day using cheap timers that have a resolution of 15 mins.... [i am not running it that much- as i have a resolution of 1 min on the aquacontroller] and they got a good 6-12 months of use out of it before having to replace the impeller..

Using real lime intended for aquariums seemed to solve the problem due to the reef lime being a finer grain than Mrs. Wages- which acts like sand paper to the rotors....

but since replacing an impeller once a year max [i am hoping to get 2-3 years due to the exact controlled on time] is cheaper than what would cost to use Kent Marine... the choice was easy.

• 3 weeks later...

clever design matt. Is the lid a plug with the square protrusion on it? That's how mine is made and I use a pair of channel locks on that and one of those rubber strap wrenches on the body--it works pretty well. If you come up with an alternative design, I'd like to see it.

yes that is the lid and access port/ i left enough room on the reactor to saw off and put another [nicer] top on if i needed too.... what i would love is a folding hinged top w/ and oring and a clamp- kinda like grandmas jelly jars. kinda liek this top--

glassclampjar_photo.jpg

but pvc don't make everything i want.. low $$ and high efficiency is the goal of this project... so i can get by with a screw top for now...

i am going to change out the imput so it accepts a maxijet on the input- and then choking it back. I then let the output be the standard airline tubing... i am just not getting enough pressure with my water lifter pump- with the head it has to pump up.... and I dont' want to raise the height of the water supply...