This is what is left of my solana glass top.

002.jpg

004.jpg

I heard a crash and then the beeping of my osomolator signaling that my tanks water level just got too high. Went running in to find my glass top in pieces inside my tank! Luckly there is only 2 small clowns and two small frogspawn in the tank and they are ok. I was going to replace the top with a DIY bird netting top anyway. But it put 4 or 5 small scratches on the front of my new tank when it fell in! :mad: And I think I have figured out what happened too. The disco ball light came loose and fell onto of the glass and broke it. But why did it fall down?? And at least the light stopped just short of hitting the water also!! That could of been a real disaster. Come to think of it I have noticed a few times that the light was lower and I had to raise it again. Not sure why yet this is happening. I did put the pieces back together to make sure I got all the glass out of the tank. Not a good way to start my day :(

Oh wow Amanda, that stinks, but you're right it could have been worse. I find that my light slowly gets lower and I have to raise it and tighten the bar periodically. I've also raised mine a bit higher by shortening the cable that runs from the light to the hanger. Glad everyone's okay.

I agree. Just be glad that you were home when it happened!

It sounds like an design flaw and I would encourage you to contact both the vendor you bought the tank from and the manufacturer.

Maybe, maybe not. It may not be the best design, but my experience with anything that is designed that way is that they just have to be tightened periodically. It's a tube slipping into another tube and you tighten them by turning the collar on the outer one. I've never heard anyone else complain about it. It may just be that I'm not strong enough to really tighten it down as tight as it could be. That's why I just keep an eye on it.

That said, I would not discourage Amanda from contacting them since her experience was a quite different.

Maybe, maybe not. It may not be the best design, but my experience with anything that is designed that way is that they just have to be tightened periodically. It's a tube slipping into another tube and you tighten them by turning the collar on the outer one. I've never heard anyone else complain about it. It may just be that I'm not strong enough to really tighten it down as tight as it could be. That's why I just keep an eye on it.

That said, I would not discourage Amanda from contacting them since her experience was a quite different.

It is designed to swivel to make it easier to feed,maintance and things. Upon closer inspection I found that the part I think is suppose to swivel is not and it is swiveling at the colar to tighten it. Therefore it is actually loosening the light causing it to slide down. Does that make sence? Katrina is right,there is a larger tube and a smaller one that slides into it. Then there is a collar on it to tighten it, making it adjustable. I think the larger tube is suppose to be the one to swivel but it does not. The smaller one is the one swiveling. so everytime you swivel, move it, you are loosening the collar that is suppose to hold it in place. I think this may be the problem. Design problem, maybe yes IMO.I will have to keep a close eye on it.

It is designed to swivel to make it easier to feed,maintance and things. Upon closer inspection I found that the part I think is suppose to swivel is not and it is swiveling at the colar to tighten it. Therefore it is actually loosening the light causing it to slide down. Does that make sence? Katrina is right,there is a larger tube and a smaller one that slides into it. Then there is a collar on it to tighten it, making it adjustable. I think the larger tube is suppose to be the one to swivel but it does not. The smaller one is the one swiveling. so everytime you swivel, move it, you are loosening the collar that is suppose to hold it in place. I think this may be the problem. Design problem, maybe yes IMO.I will have to keep a close eye on it.

I think mine swivels at the bracket, but I'm not positive. I'll look at it tonight.

Well I contacted PA,where I got the tank,and my tank is still under warranty.So they contacted Current for me. I am getting a new tank,top and light. :) The only thing is they won't ship to Canada. So when I return home in a couple of years I will have a new tank waiting for me. I will have to use this one and deal with looking at the scratches on the front glass for now. And I just need to make sure the light is tighten on it on a regular basis.

Thumbs up to Premium Aquatics and Current,they were both quick to respond and great to work with in this situation. I am very pleased with the service from both. :D

Well I contacted PA,where I got the tank,and my tank is still under warranty.So they contacted Current for me. I am getting a new tank,top and light. :) The only thing is they won't ship to Canada. So when I return home in a couple of years I will have a new tank waiting for me. I will have to use this one and deal with looking at the scratches on the front glass for now. And I just need to make sure the light is tighten on it on a regular basis.

Thumbs up to Premium Aquatics and Current,they were both quick to respond and great to work with in this situation. I am very pleased with the service from both. :D

Gotta love that kind of customer service!!