Vodka Dosing

I was dosing vodka for 10months on the solana. I think it was the cause of the mini crash that I am slowly recovering from. But when I was doing it, I loved it. Clean clear water, no algea. But there are some drawbacks. I think all in all the same results can be achieved with good husbandry. here is the article I started with,

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I added that link to the pinned thread Advanced Topics in the General Reefkeeping forum

I agree with southstar that you can achieve the same results with good husbandry. Besides, I'd rather drink the vodka.

:shots:

This works well if you have an older tank and have not been good at using RO/DI water. Will remove phosphates and nitrates which are tied up in the rock with out cooking the rock. With that being said, you will need a good skimmer and should ramp up very slowly. I had a very bad hair algae problem and was able to get rid of it using this method. The rock in my tank is several years old and I did not use RO/DI water fro the first 3-4 years. I now have and use RO/DI water and used the vodka method for about 10 months. I slowly tapered off the use of vodka once the hair algae was gone for about a month.

Read all the information you can about this before you begin as there can be a lot of issues. I would remember one other thing. I think it is better to keep the dosage down and take longer to remove the problem than to have a crash.