Swimming with the Pharm Fish

Scalare102079

I don't understand the problem, so now we have low cholesterol, normal blood pressure, allergy free fish that are free of bipolar disorder and depression. Sounds like a good life. Maybe I should live where the fish are living.

I don't understand the problem, so now we have low cholesterol, normal blood pressure, allergy free fish that are free of bipolar disorder and depression. Sounds like a good life. Maybe I should live where the fish are living.

that is a very valid point... I think I am going fishing later for dinner.

Yeah, its sad that most hospitals way of dealing with expired meds is to flush them. Its amazing to me that the water company requires back-flow preventers for irrgation systems, to ensure that some tiny amount of dirt and fertilizer doee not enter the lines, but dumping hundreds of pounds of drugs down the drain on a daily basis is considered ok.

Yeah, its sad that most hospitals way of dealing with expired meds is to flush them.

For one, it doesn't say that this was the method used by hospitals to dispose of expired medications. The artical doesn't even say the pharmaceuticals are coming from hospitals.

Much of the contamination comes from the unmetabolized residues of pharmaceuticals that people have taken and excreted; unused medications dumped down the drain also contribute to the problem.

Working in the pharmacuetical field, I would find it very unlikely that a hospital would flush expired meds. Most pharma companies actually offer credits back to hospitals and pharmacies for returning expired meds back to the company. To prevent just this type of thing from happening.

Working in the pharmacuetical field, I would find it very unlikely that a hospital would flush expired meds. Most pharma companies actually offer credits back to hospitals and pharmacies for returning expired meds back to the company. To prevent just this type of thing from happening.

I know this, because I have fought with clarian about it, its their company policy. I berated a woman for doing it while I was there servicing a tank, and she brought me their SOP for disposing of expired medicine, which instructs them to remove packaging, and flush the pills. They used to throw them away, but got into a legal issue when some dumpster diver OD'd on meds he got from a dumpster. According to my wife, who has been in the medical field for about 15 years, every single doctors office, and hospital she has worked for has had the same policy.

Scary eh?

Scary eh?

It is.

Like I said, I am surprised a hospital would dump expired meds, because most drug companies will give them a credit back for returning the expired meds.

For doctors offices, my guess is that they are expired samples being discarded. The doctors office I used to work at, expired samples were put in the sharps container so they would be incenerated. I am surprised that more durg companies don't do more with the doctors offices to get the expired samples back.