Clavularia problem?

revance

As many of you know, I am new to the world of keeping corals.

I got some of that clavularia at the last meeting and have a question. It has spread like mad (about 4 times larger than when I got it) but I just noticed one polyp not opening and right around the bottom where it branches out looks "spongy". I am assuming this is dead tissue. Should I cut this off to prevent it spreading or leave it alone? My water parameters look pretty good...

SG 1.024

Temp 79

Ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate almost 0

Haven't checked calcium lately (usually around 375)

The only other stuff I have in the tank is a couple shrooms

2 rics, a colony of zoanthids, and a small piece of monti digi.

Any ideas? I just don't understand why part of it would have a problem while it is spreading so fast. Thanks in advance

Russ

leave it be.. no need to mess with it.. that's just the spread, as you had suspected. it does that when a runner anchors in,, it never falls off it just kinda forms a tough band attaching all the polyps together.. fear not.. glad it's spreading good though!

B

Mine has grown 4 runners spreading out about 2-3" in all directions from it with 1-3 new polps on each runner. :D

I think I have on mine what you are describing too. I'm just going to let it do it's thing.

One thing I do notice is different polps don't open up at different times but then do a day or two later and then don't again and so on, normal?

No, that part is definitely dead. I am just concerned it is going to harm the healthy part. I am going to just wait it out and see. If another polyp starts to die, then I will worry. But at the moment, there are at least 10 new polyps, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried about losing an old one.

ever seen a sponge spread from rock to rock...

sometimes they'll get long extensions like fingers (some sponges) and have seen this occur in my tank... once they reach or come into contact with another rock and begin to grow the growth between the two rock deteriorates and dissapears.. it's no longer needed for the individual organism that each new sponge or individual polyp is. it functions merely as a means of asexual reproduction, once that is complete the new organism can start it's own stretch to form a new individual.. hence.. it's ok it's supposed to look like it's dead.. if you ever frag it up however you will notice that it is very tough and holds all of the polyps together..

B

Yes, I understand that the spreaders can go away, but it is deteriorating all the way to the base of one of the polyps and the polyp appears to be dead (it hasn't opened since I first posted this). As I said, I am just going to wait it out and see what happens. The rest of it seems to be perfectly healthy. Thanks