Well, here are my options!!

My big tank has started to pull away on the back left corner seam. Awhile back I had powder coated angle brackets siliconed on each corner. This was done to help strengthen the tanks seams even thought there were no signs of problems at the time. So, I contacted the manufacture and he wants to take apart the entire tank and re-do it!

So, here are my options:

A: Let him take the tank apart and redo it. But this time I would have him add more support on the seams. This would require me empting the entire tank of sand, rock, coral, and fish. That is a long time in my (3) 150 gallon vats. Of which I would have to replumb to reirc water. most likely would loose a lot of corals and fish in the process.

B: Get money back on tank and sell all my rock and livestock. Get completely out.

It would be hell to go through this process of getting the tank rebiult!

What would you do? Skip the sympathy, I am past the emotions and and just going to deal with situation!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With as much time and $$ as you have invested in your current set up, I find it hard to believe you would be willing to get out of the hobby.

If it were my system, I would attempt to find a way to keep it. Either have the tank rebuilt or get your money back and find a way to put a smaller tank in it's place.

What does he say about the fact that you might lose a bunch of fish and coral?

He is now offering to rebuild me a new tank and then I would only have a few days of fiah/coral in vats. He wouldf tear down old one and put new one in. Plumbing isn't an issue, all sea swirls have unions and I have no closed loops. The two overflow drains would have to be cut. But, not a big deal. Its just setting up the system to bipass the tank so I can pull everything out.

I dont know who built your tank!

But the question I would ask myself is do I believe in his craftsmanship??

Good reputation company. If I decided to have him rebuild a new one it would be done differently. Added support on seams. New silicone that just came out that is stronger. Added support on eurobracing and so on. So, I am not worried about the new tank. I am just tring to decide if I stay in the hobby or get out...

I would go for it!!!

The time and trouble of tearing down and selling off IMO would be more of a headache!! Between meeting up with people, shipping, emails, phone calls and large hard to sell items!

What I am thinking now is have him biuld me a 72x30x24H tank with metal stand and cabnets. Put it in my living room and get a hanging light aal-in-one system. Then, I can keep all my rare fish and corals. I would have to sell off the corals I do not want, and the large fish (which I would donate to Indy zoo). And I would sell all the extra rock, and equipment I would have. That would go towards stuff for the new tank sutup. Less pain and less worry! Then I could just have new tank ready to rock and roll, and not have to worry about vats and moving stuff over and over.

and the large fish (which I would donate to Indy zoo).

I wouldn't count on this. The Zoo has very strict policies on where/who they can buy from. I'm pretty sure they cannot accept animals from local hobbists. You may want to check with Andy B. (Scalare102079) as he works at the Zoo.

The zoo has to fill out months of paperwork to get a fish from a breader... dont think they would be able to fit what you need in a timely mannor.

I want a larger tank to make it easier to maintain. I have a 24g and want to go to about 120g.

I think it might not be a bad choice to scale down in your case. Bring the fun back into the hobby and take out some of the work.

Guest Willy
I think it might not be a bad choice to scale down in your case. Bring the fun back into the hobby and take out some of the work.

Fun is having a huge tank!!!!! Get the thing rebuilt and let me know when you need help.

What about a club meeting at your house to get this thing transfered over and then the new one in it's place? If I had that tank, my wife would kill me if I got out! Its going to suck and it will be a ton of work but we can help out.

What are the logistics of this thing? Are we talking emptying this thing one week and the next week putting the new tank in?

Don't give up on it!

Hey There:

I had a 150 gallon leak on the bottom. I took it down and put everything in a rubbermaid stub and re-glued it. After the second leak I got mad and took it down. Well that was a couple of years ago. I missed it so I am putting in my new tank right now. Guess what it is 72 x 30x 24 lol I bought it on Ebay from a guy in Greenwood. I just joined this site this morning so I will post some pics. I certainly know the anger but if your like me you will miss it if you get out of the hobby. If you do make sure to keep everything but the tank just in case!!!! hope this helps, have a good one, Mike

I have been through every senario I could think of.

A. It would be very difficult to part with the livestock I have!!

B. It would cost too much to goto a smaller tank, i.e. skimmer, lights, sumps and so on.

C. Replacing the tank seems like the most logical choice here. But, in order to do this I would need about 8 to 10 BIG guys to help me and the 2 tank biulders remove the old one and put the new one in.

So, in order to do that I would need about something to put 700 galons of water into for a few days. I could bipass the tank on recirc pumps and put all the fish and coral into the 3 sumps. This would be done a few days before teh guys would show up with the tank. Then they would rip apart the old tank panel by panel, and then the old heevhoo on the new tank onto the stand.

What do you all think?

Im glad Im not a big guy...that means I dont have to help :D:D

Willy, you are big enough. And there will be plenty of work needed to get done before they show up; like transfeering all livestock to vats and emtying tank.......

I'm glad you're leaning this way too. I was amazed when I saw your system and would hate to see it go. Trust me, I thought I was going to be fine when I gave up my 75 gal. a couple years ago. Now that I'm up and running with a 12 again, it makes me a little sad to see bigger tanks. You'd sit there looking at that spot on your wall second guessing your decision for years.