All Indiana frag swap

I think it's a great idea......BUT.......

Who is fronting the money to do this? Sponsored?

If this is INDMAS related, is this really the time to do it seeing how we do not have any elected officials yet? (hence having a more organized swap). If not INDMAS related, then this question does not pertain.

There is a lot more that goes into something this big rather than just having a thread dedicated to it. You may want to get with Rob Becker, who is organizing the Ohio swap to ask him for some tips. We had a 12 page thread just dedicated to the INDMAS quarterly frag swap, that had 43 attendees, which was great I might add. Just imagine how much helter skelter goes into something that is expecting 150 - 200 attendees.

I am not trying to shoot this down as a bad idea at all, as I don't think it's the case. I just think there is a lot of work and planning that goes along with it, which in my mind needs to be done months in advance. A show of this magnitude can take as much as 5-6 months of planning.

the idea was concieved on the Indianapolis Marine Aquarium Club website, by Bryan from Blowfish Aquatics. the thread is linked in my last post...there is no reason it can't be a joint venture...check out the thread and post up there...lets get it going!

donnie

All I've got to say is WHOA, SLOW DOWN. We haven't even had our election yet and we're allready jumping into an all Indiana frag swap?

The idea of being able to do something that large sounds like an incredible opportunity to showcase Indiana as one of the premier "reefer hotbeds". I just think it's a bit premature. Let's get our leadership in place before we attempt such a grand undertaking.

I would rather see us take our time and do this thing right than to do it poorly and present a negative image about our club.

Aside from the afore mentioned, here are a couple of other thoughts.

If it's a frag swap, then should we allow local fish stores to come and sell their stuff also? Doesn't sound like a frag swap to me. If we do allow representatives from the LFS, then what would be their role?

Who will be the "Grand Pubah" of this event? I think it should be someone who is NOT affiliated with an LFS. (remember this is supposed to be a frag swap)

How come people will volunteer to help with an all Indiana frag swap but we can't get more than a handful of people to run for INMAS office?

Maybe I'm raining on the parade a little bit but I feel very strongly that INMAS as an entity, should not be part of this frag swap yet. If INDIVIDUALS want to be a part of it, that would be fine, but lets not fool ourselves by thinking we're ready for this!

Thanks

Tim

How come people will volunteer to help with an all Indiana frag swap but we can't get more than a handful of people to run for INMAS office?

A one time thing such as putting on this event is a lot less time consuming then doing it for an entire year for some people. I wouldn?t bash people for not wanting to run for office, time constraints are probably the main reason people don?t have time to run for office. Putting this together should be fairly simple. Find a place large enough to hold 200+ people, find the funds to hold the room for the event, call a few LFS and ask them to participate that will cover any costs that will incur. Same as they did for the Ohio Swap.

If it's a frag swap, then should we allow local fish stores to come and sell their stuff also? Doesn't sound like a frag swap to me. If we do allow representatives from the LFS, then what would be their role?

This is a must, not only to showcase the great stores we have in Indiana, but to also provide the monies to pay for the location.

The idea of being able to do something that large sounds like an incredible opportunity to showcase Indiana as one of the premier "reefer hotbeds". I just think it's a bit premature. Let's get our leadership in place before we attempt such a grand undertaking.

I would rather see us take our time and do this thing right than to do it poorly and present a negative image about our club.

Tim,

If you read again, it was not us that started this thread, it was started by the other Indiana Coral Club. All that was provided was a link to the other site, nothing was said on there that indmas should put this on. This was an idea from Bryan. Again we are not the ones that started the idea, Donnie was just trying to spread the word and see if there was enough interest to go any further with this idea.

Who will be the "Grand Pubah" of this event? I think it should be someone who is NOT affiliated with an LFS. (remember this is supposed to be a frag swap)

I believe it needs to be a couple of people, but that is up to Bryan since he is the one that has come up with the idea, so it should be up to him to find people to help, etc.

I am not trying to be a jerk or come off rude bro, I hear what you are saying, and maybe next year we can put on an all Indiana Coral Swap, and we can come to an agreement with the other Indiana Coral club and rotate years, they host it this year, and next year we host it. That will give us enough time to get the leadership, and the club some time to raise some funds so if we don?t want LFS to participate then we have enough cash to pay for it. :D So I agree with you. Just don?t shoot the messenger aka Donnie, he was just trying to help out.

RT

Putting this together should be fairly simple. Find a place large enough to hold 200+ people, find the funds to hold the room for the event, call a few LFS and ask them to participate that will cover any costs that will incur. Same as they did for the Ohio Swap.

On the surface it would seem fairly simple. But until you have been involved in planning events of this magnitude, it is hardly that. When I said this could be a 5-6 month long process of multiple planning and coordinating the event I was serious. You are missing the biggest part of the show itself, promotion. You have to promote somethingl ike this for 3-4 months in advance, maybe longer to get the turnout of 200+ people. MACNA and IMAC is promoted for a year or more in advance, and they struggle to get 400 attendees. I really want to do something like this in Indy soon, but I think it needs to be thought out and planned much more than what it is.

LFS are going to be a part of ANY frag swap... no matter what you do.

For example: Bryon runs blowfishaquatics.com... if we put on a big frag swap, we couldn't kick him out of the building if he wanted to come trade and sell his "personal" corals. Owners of LFS would simply not put the business name on their stuff. Now if they don't stick with the idea behind a frag swap and only want lots of cash for their corals, people just won't trade/buy from them.

On the other hand, we (hypothetical "we" here) could charge them to set up a booth and sell/trade their corals AND advertise their business, thus covering the operating cost of the swap. That way reefers get to see what kind of businesses are out there and not have to pay to participate. It is a win win situation.

I agree that INDMAS probably isn't ready to host an event like this, but we can still chip in and help make it happen (even if our name isn't on it). Personally, I have organized events MUCH larger than this and it isn't a big deal. Mostly it just takes time to get the word out... that is the hardest part